Chemical Plans

gem4lyf

Jul 12, 2020
Hollister, California
Begin Rant (I really hate having to empty out my pool and waste water due to the fact that my original pool person used Trichlor for the last 6 years) End Rant :)

Now,
After finally getting my CYA down, the following is what I measured.

CYA = 35ish, so I'm rounding up to 40
Chlorine = Non - Existent
Ph = 7.8 (initially) - 7.2 (After adding Muriatic Acid, waiting, and remeasuring)
Calcium = 350
ALK = 230

Due to lack of Chlorine, I'm currently in the process of SLAM. Pool math says I should put in 409 oz. I've already dumped in 1 gallon, and will be doing the 2+ more by the end of the evening. I know that my Calcium is at the top of the recommended range. Should I work on dropping that down? Finally, shouldn't I be concerned with the ALK at 230? I know that it impacts Ph levels. Thanks for all the information!

CH is fine. TA will come down over time as you keep the pH in the 7's.

Have you read SLAM Process? You raise the FC to SLAM level (16 ppm for you) and Maintain it there by testing and adding more chlorine every few hours. At least 3-4 times per day.

According to my pool math app, the CH level of 350 is right in middle for plaster pool. I would focus on getting your FC up to avoid any algae growth. You can address TA later as you have your pH at recommended level for SLAM.

@mknauss Thanks for the clarification on the TA, that makes sense. The reason I asked about the CH is because there is conflicting information. In the ebook, it recommends 250 - 350. Also, I did read the about the SLAM process. That's where I got the 409 oz of additional bleach needed to be added.

@HermanTX Thanks for your information as well. I will solely focus on the FC after I reach the recommended SLAM level

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.