Chemical help on intex pool

I went to Leslie's Pool which was a different place than where I was going prior so I could get a 2nd opinion.
Free Chlorine .5
Total Available Chlorine .5
Water pH 7.8
Total Alkalinity 190 (way to high)
CYA 0 (I added the stabilizer for the first time today into the sock which is floating in front of the jet)
Calcium Hardness 210
Total Dissolved Solids 1100
I read on here that when the alkalinity was high I should add dry acid and that is what I bought there. They told me to add 1 cap full every 4 hours 15 times till I get to 3.5lb
The pool is still cloudy but seems to look a little better since I started using bleach instead of chlorine granules but still cloudy.
I need to know honestly whether I should keep going on like this or drain the pool and start over? I hate to drain it since my landlord is the one that pays the water bill but I'm at my breaking point. It is going to be extremely hot for the next few days and I really need a pool.

Once you get your TA in line, your PH will be out of whack.
Pool calculator suggests it will need a lot of correction.
Ignore the calcium test, has no effect on vinyl pools.

I think I would drain it halfway and refill and retest. If you choose to keep the water, when you make the PH correction, do it in 4 parts, test and recalculate between doses.

Rely on your own tests, use the calculator, and buy nothing but noodles at the pool store.

Are the walls and floor below the water line slick or sticky? Slick walls could be the start of a problem. You should be able to make the walls squeak rubbing your fingers on them, just like a balloon does. I dont think there has been enough time for anything to start up, but brushing it couldnt hurt!

No it wasn't slick but I scrubbed it down anyway just to be safe. As I was brushed alot of white clouds came up. I drained it 3/4 and am now filling it back up. I bought dichlor for the shock and some more bleach. I am good to go once it fills and then I can start this process all over again.

Why do you keep buying what they are selling?

All you need is bleach, and the CYA that you already have, those are your immediate needs. Run the pool calculator with 1 on the CL line, add the prescribed bleach based on 3282 gallons. Want to go to shock level? Change the target to 15.

I dont know how much CYA got into your water before you drained it. Ballpark guess, I'd put a sock in the pool with 75% of the 18oz you started to put in, about 13oz. You can adjust that level later after a store test [noodles ONLY!].

Baking soda and borax may come into play after you test, and maybe dry acid that you also already have.

Slow down, take a breath, drink an adult beverage if it is your style! Get in the pool!

The first four days, you will use dichlor to both chlorinate your pool and raise the level of CYA (chlorine stabilizer).

I bought it because that's what the directions under Guide for Seasonal/Termporary pool told me to do. After of course I enjoy my adult beverage and swim in my just about full still coudy pool. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I guess I will have to differ with the Pool School there.

I much prefer to add exact amounts of what I need of only the ingredient I need. Kinda like taking a multi-symptom cough cold sinus medication...sure, you get what you need plus other stuff. I take the individual products as needed, not the multiple symptom products.

When I set up my pool this year, the water had a green tint straight out the hose! Immediately began bleach dumping, no way was I gonna start off like that! While shocking the new water, I calculated the CYA dose and had it ready. I did not want to confuse the initial shock CL test readings by adding the CYA at that time, even if it meant I used more bleach. Once the shock was done, I applied the CYA and let the CL fall to my target level {5-7}, and added my baking soda, borax and muriatic acid as spec'd by the calculator.

But as long as you get to a sparkling pool to enjoy, let's do it!

Sounds good to me. Pool should be full within the hour so I can run my first set of test to see what my levels are. Yes I will be getting the TF-100 but until I have that in hand I will use the drops and strips I have. I will post the levels as soon as we are full.

And the results are in.
Strips
FC 0
Alkalinity 180
PH 7.6
CYA 0

Drops
Alk 160
PH 7.6

So I'm assuming by the alkalinity being on the high side we are not able to go in the pool. It went down only 20-30 from last night by draining the pool 3/4. Do you advice starting the bleach or dry acid or both?

I see no reason why you cant get in the pool at 160.
Get the chlorine in the pool! Get your bee-hind in the pool.

When you get out for the evening, walk around the pool a few fast laps and make a whirlpool. Get out and add dry acid and allow it to mix in. Repeat as you 'walk down' the TA over the next few days, all the while maintaining CL levels. You should be able to add more acid to the whirlpool than the pool circulated only by the pump.

When the TA levels are down, add the CYA while keeping an eye on the TA, all the while maintaining CL levels. Might have to adjust TA some more after the CYA goes in.

But first...have a dip!

Behind every sparkling pool is a good test kit and a religious tester. Before you know it, you will be spending all of 5 minutes a day on chemistry! Just gotta get through these initial adjustments...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.