Chemical Balance Help

Aug 14, 2018
Birmingham, AL
Thanks to everyone here for the advice so far. I have just tested our pool for the first time using the TF-100 test kit and SpeedStir and have the readings below.....I tested twice to make sure I was doing correct. Our pool was green for a few days and my wife added shock as instructed by a local pool supply store over the past 2 days. The pool water is no longer green, but it is a cloudy blue and we cannot see the bottom. There is no debris in the pool.

FC: 2ppm (first test got 4ppm)
CC: 2ppm (first test got 4ppm)
PH: somewhere from 7.5 - 7.8
TA: 90 (got 90 on both tests)
CA: 225 ppm (got this both times)
CYA: 20 or lower....I could still see the black dot at the bottom of the test tube when filled to the top

Looking at the Clorine / CYA chart and because I have a CYA level of 20 or lower and a FC level of 2, I am assuming my CYA is ok but I need to raise my FC level to 3-5ppm?...or do I need to raise my CYA level as well?
Since my CC appears to be much higher than it should, if I am reading the ABCs' of Pool Water Chemistry correctly, I need to SLAM my pool?
Our TA level is 90ppm, so I am assuming it is ok? Our CA level is 225ppm so I am assuming that is good as well.
In the SLAM instructions, it states to brush and/or vacuum once each day. We do not have a vacuum....how important is the vacuum and should we purchase one?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and advice!!

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

Great job on getting a proper test kit! Please add it to your signature.

With cloudy water you need to follow the SLAM Process procedure. Start with adding 10 ppm CYA powder using the sock method. Also add enough muriatic acid to lower your pH to 7.2

Then assume you have 30 ppm CYA in the water and raise your FC to SLAM level of 12 ppm. Test your FC and dose with chlorine to get back to 12 ppm FC as often as possible.

Once your CYA powder in the sock is full dissolved, test your CYA and see if you are at 30 ppm or higher. Adjust your SLAM level FC based on [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Your pressure side cleaner can work as your vacuum. Run it daily.

You are correct. You need to SLAM. Your water is cloudy and you have high CC. Both are symptoms of algae. You might have stunted the algae's growth with the pool store "shock" but you didn't kill it. You got the SL part, now you need to do it again and add the AM. And Maintain.

The CYA could come up a little. Your choice. Leave it as is and SLAM at 10 FC, or raise it to 30 CYA and SLAM at 12. You'll want to raise it eventually. It's just the question of when.

Brushing and vacuuming are essential. Brushing gets the algae off the walls, and it also scrubs off the slimy biofilm that protects the algae from the bleach. You want to get that stuff out of the water so the pool clears up, hence the need for a vacuum. I bought my pole, my head, and my hose at Lowes. They're not all that expensive. If your skimmer and drain are plumbed separately, you've got it made. Just drop a vacuum plate over the skimmer basket and connect the vacuum hose to it.
WATERWORT-VacuumPlate.jpg

If there's two open holes in the bottom of the skimmer, it takes a little more creativity. Post about it and we'll walk you through that if necessary.

Thank you mknauss and Richard 320! It was members here that guided me to purchase the TF-100 kit and SpeedStir. I now see why the SpeedStir is so popular!
I hate to ask a stupid question, but I must.
Mknauss, you stated that I needed to add 10ppm CYA powder.....how do I know how much powder is 10ppm? Will directions on the CYA state how much to add?...I've never purchased CYA, but will today.
With the Muriatic acid to lower the Ph to 7.2, is there a way to know how much to add to my 30,000 gallon pool, or do I just add a little at a time with pumps running and keep testing until 7.2 is reached?
I checked the skimmers and there is one open hole at the bottom of each skimmer. It appears that one has better suction than the other - could I have an issue here or is this normal?
I'm not sure if they're plumbed separately of the main drain at the floor of the pool...is there a way to tell?
Thanks for the guidance!

Pool Math app or PoolMath to determine your chemical needs.

Add the CYA by using what we call the sock method. Get an old sock (no holes) and put the measured amount of CYA you need. Tie the sock closed and either suspend it in front of a return (hang it from your brush pole works with something weighted on the deck) OR if it still allows flow thru the skimmer, place the sock in the skimmer. Every 15/20 minutes give the sock a squeeze to speed up the process. Please DO NOT follow the directions on the container of CYA to just pour it into the skimmer and don't just toss the sock in the pool as the CYA is acidic and can bleach/stain pool finishes.

Muriatic acid should be added into the return stream in your pool with pump on. Slowly. For the amount, use 7.8 in Now and 7.2 in Target in PoolMath. Be sure you have your TA entered into PoolMath.

- - - Updated - - -

Entering the data you provided. You need 68 oz of 31.45% muriatic acid and 40 oz of CYA powder.

Thank you mknauss and Richard 320! It was members here that guided me to purchase the TF-100 kit and SpeedStir. I now see why the SpeedStir is so popular!
I hate to ask a stupid question, but I must.
Mknauss, you stated that I needed to add 10ppm CYA powder.....how do I know how much powder is 10ppm? Will directions on the CYA state how much to add?...I've never purchased CYA, but will today.
With the Muriatic acid to lower the Ph to 7.2, is there a way to know how much to add to my 30,000 gallon pool, or do I just add a little at a time with pumps running and keep testing until 7.2 is reached?
I checked the skimmers and there is one open hole at the bottom of each skimmer. It appears that one has better suction than the other - could I have an issue here or is this normal?
I'm not sure if they're plumbed separately of the main drain at the floor of the pool...is there a way to tell?
Thanks for the guidance!
Any questions on how much to add, use Pool School - PoolMath What chemical does what and how to add, see Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals

I would be very surprised if the more distant skimmer didn't have less suction that the near. There is probably a threeway valve on the suction side of your pump. Maybe two. When connecting a vacuum, you might have to close off the parts you aren't using. If it's less work to suck the water in from the other skimmer or the main drain than it is to wind through 30 feet of hose, it will draw from them and the vacuum won't work. How fine is the bag on your pressure side cleaner? It might work well enough that you won;t need to vacuum.

Thank you both! I just used the PoolMath calculator for the first time - it's a great tool!
I did not see a three way valve on the suction side of the pump, but do have two lines coming into the pump and connect together at a T fitting. Before they connected together at the T and then enter the pump, each line has a ball valve. Guessing one valve would shut off suction from the skimmers and one valve would shut off suction from the main drain? If I buy a manual vacuum, would I shut of the suction from the main drain while vacuuming manually?
Thanks!

Thank you both! I just used the PoolMath calculator for the first time - it's a great tool!
I did not see a three way valve on the suction side of the pump, but do have two lines coming into the pump and connect together at a T fitting. Before they connected together at the T and then enter the pump, each line has a ball valve. Guessing one valve would shut off suction from the skimmers and one valve would shut off suction from the main drain? If I buy a manual vacuum, would I shut of the suction from the main drain while vacuuming manually?
Thanks!
Yes. But if the vacuum head sticks, lower the suction by opening the valve a little.

Need a little more help. Started the SLAM and added the 68 oz of Muriatic Acid and 40 oz of CYA powder by sock method in both skimmers. It still has not fully dissolved after squeezing socks a few times each day. I also added 624 oz of Clorox bleach at the same time. Next reading I was able to bring FC to 7.5 PPM, CYA was 20 and PH was 7.2 Next test PH was still 7.2, FC was 7.5ppm and CYA was still 20. I just did another test and FC is now 1.5ppm, CC is 1.0ppm, CH is 250 ppm and TA is 90 ppm.
I can't understand why the FC dropped from 7.5 down to 1.5. The socks of CYA powder are still in the skimmers and I am about to remove them and add 655 oz of Clorox bleach per PoolMath. Pool is not green, but a milky blue cloudy and we can't see the bottom in either end of the pool. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Did you read the SLAM Process article? Please do that.

You are to maintain your SLAM level FC, or 12 ppm FC based on a CYA of 30 (assume all the CYA powder you added is in the pool). FC will drop and when you test every few hours you add bleach to get back to FC of 12 ppm. This a process, not a one and done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.