chelated copper sulphate pentahydrate

Apr 3, 2017
Dallas, tx
I'm wondering about everyone's opinion on using poolrx's copper sulphate pentahydrate algaecide unit to control and prevent algea in the pool. Yellow algea tends to like my pool and can return easily.

I have a 15,000 gallon IG pool with a DE filter.

Welcome.

I advise you stay away from any product that contains copper. Copper builds up over time and will stain your pool surfaces, and turn blond hair green.

I would suspect your algae returns due to inadequate sanitizer (chlorine) levels.

How do you normally chlorinate your pool?

Can you post a complete set of recent test results?

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Your CYA is way high.
With high CYA, you need much higher FC levels
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock
That's why you have algae problems, you need to have very high FC at that CYA.

Don't use tablets, they raise CYA. Use bleach or liquid chlorine.

Really need to do a partial drain to drop CYA to something reasonable, then use chart to figure what FC should be.
And CC of 2 is high, really should have little to no CC.

BTW, after you get the CYA under control, consider adding borax or boric acid. It helps control algae, and just makes the water look better.

Randy

Thank you... I guess I'll start trying to bring down the cya while keeping chlorine high. Any suggestions on how high to keep chlorine while cya is high?

- - - Updated - - -

Just saw other thread... Ok is it safe to swim with chlorine at 8?

Is partial drain only way to bring down cya, or will a cya reducer work?

Out of the dozens of folks who tried the CYA reducer, I think 2 of them saw a modest difference. 100% of them felt a lightening of their bank accounts.

You need to drain about half your water at least. If you use a SWG a bit less than half, if you don't have a SWG you need to drain a bit over half....like 60%

Refill and then never use any product that adds a hidden second ingredient (cya, calcium, copper, etc) in your water. Best to use single ingredient pool supplies when you're new to pool care so that you don't get caught with an unexpected surprise problem like too high CYA. Liquid chlorine is just that, only chlorine for the pool. Arm and Hammer baking soda is the exact ingredient as Alkalinity Up products yet 1/3 the cost. Learning things like this simplify the care of our water and pools.

Do you have one of the test kits we recommend?

Yippee :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The TF-100 is the preferred test kit....more reagents for the tests you do the most often. Easy to obtain refills (Sale on refills every March it seems)

Tftestkits.net ships from NC..... PoolSupplyWorld.com ships from CA. Pick which one you think will get the kit there to you fastest :)

Yippee :flower:

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yeah...as to bleach... get the freshest, cheapest stuff you can find. 8.25% is the standard laundry stuff, but if you check the pool aisle at wallyworld they sell stronger stuff (10%) which often goes on sale. No "outdoor" or "cleaning" or "scented" bleach... just plain old bleach.

If you have a SWG your CYA should be 80ish. For a non-CYA pool we recommend 30-40, except in hot sunny Texas and AZ and places like that we often say go a bit higher, like 50. So its because of being in Texas you get a little more. Folks in New Jersey don't.

God bless Texas!! LOL

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.