Checking evaporation... maybe leaks ...

Aug 12, 2018
New Orleans, LA
Getting the pool ready for the year... we are @85F right now and water temp is 75F. I've never checked evaporation before... so here we go.

I put the bucket is in the pool this morning @ 7am started pumps and filled the pool until the water just creep-ed into the bucket and filled it... water off. There is no measurable drop in the water level as of now... 2pm ...7 hours in.

I live in New Orleans... and, I would like to know what folks have or are experiencing for evaporation in the south east in per inches per day/week of evaporation. I do understand that there are innumerable variables but would like to get a sense of what I should expect.

All opinions are greatly appreciated

Thanks You!

dennis

Thanks for the input folks!

The humidity is hovering @ 50% today and tomorrow which is low for this neck of the woods. 10 hrs in and no measurable water level decline. Water temp is now 77F... is the water expanding? I'm shutting the pumps off @ 7pm and we'll see what happens overnight.

dennis

OK... I guess I'm all good ... the first 24 hrs evaporation (75F (water temp) pump running, low humidity) 1/4" the second 24 hrs evaporation (76F (water temp) no pump running, high humidity) 3/16". Measurements in the pool and the bucket exactly the same. Apparently, no leaks... so, I'm guessing that on a 95F day with low humidity I could possibly lose a whisker more than a quarter of an inch" just to evaporation. I just topped the pool off and the calculations matched (well close enough)... I added 125 gallons Monday morning and 100 gallons Tuesday morning to compensate for evaporation.

Rock On

dennis

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.