Check Valve Question

May 16, 2017
Clifton Park, NY
We just put in a new pool with attached spillover spa. First time owners, so we are on a big learning curve. When the pump is off, the spa drains to pool level. Did some research on my own and learned this is likely a problem with the check valve. I called the contractor and he said that he never installs check valves on spas. I say, empty spa is ugly. His advise - just let the pool run all the time. Does his answer make any sense? Have you ever heard of a pool builder not installing a check valve o a spa? Would it be difficult to install a check valve now? How much should I expect to pay?

Also - thinking of getting a blower for the spa. Anything we should know or consider? Are these pricey to have installed?

Your pool builder is an idiot! Likely forgot to install and doesnt want to come back out to fix it. Depending on the finish, allowing the interior to alternate between dry and wet could cause delamination down the road as the temperature variations cause expansion and shrinking. Tell him his answer is BS and come fix it right (at no cost to you). BTW the part is ~$30 and 1/2hr install.

if he still baulks, tell him you're going to post his companies name on troublefreepools to,see what others opinions might be when selecting a new builder....

Thanks so much. That's exactly what I thought. But, we are new at this and have to trust. Makes we wonder what else he hosed (no pun intended!) me on. I got a message from him this morning that he is coming back next week to install. If he charges me a dime, I will be back with names! :)

Good point! Jandys (or pentairs) valves are full flow rated, contain a rubber seat to provide 100% seal, and can be repaired down the road without having to cut the pvc pipe- something cheap home depot check valves dont offer. When the cheap ones fail down the road, you will be forced to cut them out to replace them vs. buying a valve rebuild kit, unscrewing the cover, and replacing the worn parts. The flow restriction will increase energy cost to run your pool as well

Checking online, it looks like jandy's is $50 vs. $20 home depot cheapy. If push comes to shove and the guy shows up with the cheap one and insists its fine, Pay him the $30 difference and make him install the proper part if you have to. You'll thank yourself down the road when it eventually needs servicing.

let us know how it all turned out. Id be interested in hearing if he was honest and trustworthy, installed a quality part without being told, or tried to get by on the cheap. That will tell alot about this builders integrity and give you some insight to the quality of his work on your pool

To be honest, Im still scratching my head regarding his initial comments... do you think he was trying to make a joke or are you sure he was serious with his comments? In my opinion, Only an idiot (or disreputable) builder would say something like that rather than fix an obvious error.

regarding spa air blowers, they are pretty inexpensive- $200 for the polaris model I have (and they work great at increasing jet power and adding plenty of bubbles) but require the proper piping be in place for you to be able to attach one. You might ask the builder while he's there if adding one after the fact is possible. If so it's likely a 2-3 hr job ( plus another $50 for wire, conduit, pvc pipe, etc) so figure his price accordingly. Sometimes, adding one after the fact cant be done without major demo though.

Good point! Jandys (or pentairs) valves are full flow rated, contain a rubber seat to provide 100% seal, and can be repaired down the road without having to cut the pvc pipe- something cheap home depot check valves dont offer. When the cheap ones fail down the road, you will be forced to cut them out to replace them vs. buying a valve rebuild kit, unscrewing the cover, and replacing the worn parts. The flow restriction will increase energy cost to run your pool as well

Thanks Rossterman. I see the other valves are Jandy - so hopefully he'll show up with a Jandy. The company has been around forever, family owned, and I thought they were reputable overall. But, he was not joking. I think he was trying to pull one over on us, until I called back with some research. On the blower, i am surprised he did not mention that as an option when we designed the pool. Seems an easy sell-up. I just assumed all spas made lots of bubbles - silly me. Hopefully they can add it on - cuz I like my bubbles!

Some spa's use a venturi air intake system and don't require a blower. If you have these there is usually a couple of small round air intakes somewhere around the top of the spa. You may just need to unscrew them a little to let additional air into the system. I have a blower but it's for the jets on the bottom of my spa and don't really use them. The kids love them though

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Some spa's use a venturi air intake system and don't require a blower. If you have these there is usually a couple of small round air intakes somewhere around the top of the spa. You may just need to unscrew them a little to let additional air into the system. Thanks! We finally tried out the spa this weekend and plenty of pressure. I must not have turned the air intakes enough. Tried again - worked great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.