Check Valve Question - Part 2 - Contractor Can't Figure This Out

May 16, 2017
Clifton Park, NY
New pool owner. Since day one, spa has drained to pool level when pump is off. Initially, contractor forgot to install a check valve (Yes, seriously). Told me, just run the 24 hours a day. (Again, I think, seriously?) After a month of trying to fix this with my contrator, I am coming to this forum in hopes of some real expertise.

Our spa has two return lines and two suction lines (see picture).

Visit 1: Contractor came back and tried to install a check valve on the larger return line. Not sure what happened, but he decided that day, after cutting into the larger return line, he could not install the check valve on the larger line. He then installed the check valve on the smaller return line. He sealed back up the larger return line. He never replaced the blue handled valve that was originally on the larger return line, and said we did not need it. (So, I think, why was it installed initially, if its not needed?) In any case, fix did not work, and spa is still draining out.

Visit 2 and 3: Contractor comes back - not sure what he does. At some point, (he says - not sure I believe him) he installed a second check valve on the larger spa return. So, now we have two check valves. Spa still drains put when pump is off. It drains our a lot slower than it did - now it takes 6-7 hours to drain all the way out, but it still pool level every morning, after pump is off all night. Contractor insists the problem is we are not fully turning off all the spa suction valves. (Seriously, I think? I may be new to this, but pretty sure I knowhow o turn off a valve.)

Visit 4 - Contractor comes back. Ensure both check valves are wide open, and all spa suction valves are turned off. I don't touch a thing, and this morning, spa is drained to pool level.

What could be causing this? What should I do next?

The check valve should be on the spa return which I believe is the bottom pipe.

But what I don't see is a large suction pipe coming from the spa. Did he plumb two separate smaller pipes from the spa?

Please add your state to your location..... <<<---------- over there

I'm going to make some assumptions, since i can't see all labels on your plumbing. Starting at the bottom of your picture - lines that go into the ground.

• Spa Jets - sends water to all jets in spa when black Jandy valve is in spa mode
  • Spa make up line - check valve installed - returns a little water to spa when in pool mode (controls amount of water ofer spillway)
  • Next 4 valves are returns to pool and/or for water features (nothing related to spa or spa spillway)
  • Next 4 valves are suction side - taking water from spa and pool - 2 for spa and 2 for pool - probably 1 each for skimmer and bottom drain.
On the suction side, I can't tell from the picture which are for pool and which are for spa. But, you should be drawing from pool only when in pool mode. Be sure OFF on Jandy valve is pointing toward the spa side suction. In normal pool mode, you don't want to draw any water from the spa.

Posting a few more pictures with the labels clearly visible will help us see exactly what you've got there.

After a couple of years, you may be replacing those blue handled valves. They tend to start to bind up and not work well after a period of time. Consider replacing them with either 3-way or 2-way Jandy valves at that time.

Also, there appears to be a second check valve on the heater out line. I believe both of the check valves use an internal spring to allow flow in only one direction.

Please add your state to your location..... <<<---------- over there

I'm going to make some assumptions, since i can't see all labels on your plumbing. Starting at the bottom of your picture - lines that go into the ground.

• Spa Jets - sends water to all jets in spa when black Jandy valve is in spa mode
  • Spa make up line - check valve installed - returns a little water to spa when in pool mode (controls amount of water ofer spillway)
  • Next 4 valves are returns to pool and/or for water features (nothing related to spa or spa spillway)
  • Next 4 valves are suction side - taking water from spa and pool - 2 for spa and 2 for pool - probably 1 each for skimmer and bottom drain.
On the suction side, I can't tell from the picture which are for pool and which are for spa. But, you should be drawing from pool only when in pool mode. Be sure OFF on Jandy valve is pointing toward the spa side suction. In normal pool mode, you don't want to draw any water from the spa.

Posting a few more pictures with the labels clearly visible will help us see exactly what you've got there.

After a couple of years, you may be replacing those blue handled valves. They tend to start to bind up and not work well after a period of time. Consider replacing them with either 3-way or 2-way Jandy valves at that time.

Also, there appears to be a second check valve on the heater out line. I believe both of the check valves use an internal spring to allow flow in only one direction.

Yes, you are correct in your description of the lines. The last two lines on the right are spa suction. The spa suction lines are closed, and spa still drains out. Contractor said he installed the second check valve on the first line on the left. But, maybe he did place in on the heater out line? Is that where the check valve should go?

Do you mean spa suction? Returns return water back to the spa.

Where are the two spa suction pipes coming from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They must terminate at either a main drain, skimmer or wall port. Do you want the lines connect to in the spa?

Since he said he put a check valve on the first fat pipe (spa return) - have him show you exactly where that check valve is. Take a pic of it and post it here.

I see a union on the spa return pipe, but not a check valve. Maybe it's installed underground?

When the spa drains down, does it stop at bottom of spa skimmer, bottom of return jets or elsewhere?

As a test, turn off both blue handled valves on the spa suction and see if the issue stops or at least diminishes. Leave the Jandy valve between pool and spa suction set so OFF points toward the spa suction side.

Stupid question. Has he confirmed all the valve labels are accurate?

And another question. The union on the 2" to the spa has a "this side up" sticker. Can you identify what is there and if for some reason the check valve on the other spa line as the same sticker. Is it possible he used ball check valves instead of spring valves....

I'm calling the valve with the blue handle labeled "Spa" the spa makeup line.......

There looks to be a union below the check valve in the spa make up line. Carefully dig around it and see if there is the same "This Side Up" sticker on it.

With the pump running and the valves in the position in your pics, the spa overflows into the pool, correct? If you then close the spa makeup line, does the overflow stop? This should determine if that valve is labeled correctly.

Turn off the blue valves on the following (make sure spa is full first): spa makeup line, both spa suction lines. See if the spa drains down overnight. With all suction side and return side valves off to the spa, it shouldn't drain down unless the valves are mislabeled (assuming the plumbing is correct) or if they are not working correctly (internals not functioning).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.