Check Valve / Flow Meter

That would only be an issue if you were trying to put it on the suction pipe ... which there is no reason to do. Since you have solar, you should just use the Flwo-vis instead of a regular check valve right after your filter. I would not think putting it anywhere on the pressure side would impact the SVRS at all.

I had the same thought initially.

I have an IntelliPro VS +SVRS, and in the manual it states: "When check valves are installed on the discharge side of the pump a SVRS Check Valve Kit, part
number 350250Z, must be installed." So, it seems that even on the discharge side of things perhaps there is some effect to installing a check valve?

Well, I have no idea ... I just know that we see many reports here of people having issues with that pump with the SVRS that I would not buy one. Even Pentair was reportedly surprised that these are being used on residential pools.

Ouch. I didn't know the pump had such a bad reputation. It wasn't my choice, just kinda came that way. It's a pretty new pump though, and I haven't had any problems with it-- seems like a waste to get rid of it. I think I'll be able to get the flow meter in there in the future too, just going to take a little more knowledge and a little more work.

Your comment about pentair reportedly being surprised about these being used residentially surprised me. Pentair publishes a brochure called "IntelliPro VS+SVRS Residential Brochure (Part # P1-093)".Perhaps they started making these brochures in response to unexpected demand, but at this point they seem to recognize it as a pump for residential use.

Could be ... maybe I overstated things, but there was at least one Pentair rep that reportedly said something like that.

The problems we see are when owners are trying to use a suction side cleaner or just trying to manually vacuum the pool and the stupid pump keeps turning itself off. If you do not do either of those things, I am sure it is a great pump with the added safety.

I can see conceptually how a suction side cleaner might cause problems for such a pump. I have a Pentair GreatWhite (came with the house) and it runs fine-- well okay I don't think much of the greatwhite, but the pump doesn't shut off is what I'm saying.

I have one of these FlowVis meters that was just installed with our new pool in Jan 2014, since we also have a variable speed pump, it has been very interesting to have. My Ecostar VS is rated for 80gpm with my 2" plumbing and running it at full speed was generating about 28 psi at my filter, and about 100 gpm at the meter, so it was very useful to know I needed to turn down the pump. So I used it to help set the 4 speeds that the Hayward ProLogic uses:
s1 - 1035 rpm - 30 gpm - 0 psi : min speed required to get the flow switch in the UV system to come on
s2 - 1725 rpm - 53 gpm - 6 psi : min speed required to get both the heaters flow switch enabled
s2 - 2415 rpm - 65 gpm - 11 psi : just a speed I chose because it was the same rpm difference from s1-s2 to s2-s3 (690 rpm)
s2 - 3105 rpm - 92 gpm - 22 psi: next speed up using 690 rpm, and speed I intend to use for vacuuming
knowing what I know now, I would not have needed the meter, I did determine s1 & s2 without the use of the meter, but it was interesting to know
I believe my salt cell is activated at speeds even lower than s1, I use s1 or s2 for routine daily filtering, and I could have experimented with the vacuum to see what speeds it works best at, the Polaris cleaner has not been installed yet but trial and error with it is probably going to determine what I use for s3

I am an engineer by training so I love my meter, and even though I now realize it is mostly a luxury, I am still glad I got it.

Mike

How accurate do you find the Flowvis to be? I installed one today after my IntelliFlo 2 VST. At 2350 RPM it's reporting about 50 GPM and at 1800 RPM it's near 40 GPM. Seems like I should be able to run my VS pump lower than 1800...and closer to 30 GPM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Miles,

Every pool is plumbed a little different, so your flow might not match mine. For me, it takes about 1,100 RPM to close the flow switch on my IC40. I run it at 1,200 just to make sure. I could not care less what the actual flow rate is, because it does not matter to me. In theory your SWCG should operate at 25 GPM but each flow switch is a little different.

I suddenly see where this is going.. You have 40 GPM at 1800 so why can't you go lower than 1800 and still have the SWCG work?

How about posting a picture of your equipment pad clearing showing the input and output pipes to your SWCG..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.