Check valve between pump and cartridge filter?

ride525

Gold Supporter
Jun 17, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
My finacee's pool has a check valve between he pump and the filter.

If I re-plumb that section sometime, is that check valve helpful?

I'm adding a Intelliflo 011018 VS pump in the next week or so, as soon as it gets here from Las Vegas.

Just wondering if that check valve is helpful, it looks like that short section of pipe is bigger, like 2 1/2 instead of the rest of the PVC, which is 2". Equipment is on the same height as the pool deck, perhaps 25 feet away from the pool.

Thanks in advance

Jeff

Is solar involved? If so, you need a check valve but it is better to put it after the filter instead of before the filter because debris can keep the valve open.

I've added them before, although generally they are not necessary.

Sometimes if a pump is pulling in air, that air will accumulate in the top of the filter tank. When the pump turns off that pressurized air can force water backwards through the pump with great force. The backward flow through the pump can dislodge the impeller, and I have even seen a skimmer basket blown out onto the deck. Hence the check valve. Obviously, the best solution is to fix the suction leak, but sometimes it's just a low water issue.

Is solar involved? If so, you need a check valve but it is better to put it after the filter instead of before the filter because debris can keep the valve open.

There is solar involved. It think there is check valve in the solar plumbing, but will have to go check.

I've added them before, although generally they are not necessary.

Sometimes if a pump is pulling in air, that air will accumulate in the top of the filter tank. When the pump turns off that pressurized air can force water backwards through the pump with great force. The backward flow through the pump can dislodge the impeller, and I have even seen a skimmer basket blown out onto the deck. Hence the check valve. Obviously, the best solution is to fix the suction leak, but sometimes it's just a low water issue.

There was a lot of air being pulled in suction side. Replaced O-rings in Jandy valve, and also gate, as it was leaking. (turns out leak was likely caused by palm tree pieces in Jandy suction valve.) Air disappeared for a few days, then pump seems to have died.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.