check valve and backwashing

Apr 18, 2024
Alabama
Okay. So as a new pool owner I made a mistake. I installed a new Hayward heat pump and have a salt water chlorinator. Everything I read said I must install a check valve or backflow valve after heater and before chlorinator to prevent backflow of saltwater into heater but now that I have installed it I wasnt even thinking of the backwash or waste setting on my sand filter and now water can not be backwash into the filter. So what is the solution?

Good news! You don't need the check valve. Remove the flapper from the inside of the check valve. A check valve IS required for an inline (trichlor tablet) chlorinator, but not for a SWG. Trichlor is acidic and can destroy the internal heat pump components. SWGs produce chlorine gas which is not acidic. Not sure where you read a check valve was required, but it wasn't on TFP.

Congrats on the new heat pump!

Good news! You don't need the check valve. Remove the flapper from the inside of the check valve. A check valve IS required for an inline (trichlor tablet) chlorinator, but not for a SWG. Trichlor is acidic and can destroy the internal heat pump components. SWGs produce chlorine gas which is not acidic. Not sure where you read a check valve was required, but it wasn't on TFP.

Congrats on the new heat pump!
Thanks so much. Just saved me a lot of work. What's the best way to get the water out of my return line to take that flapper out?

What's the best way to get the water out of my return line to take that flapper out?
It really depends on how your system is plumbed and the elevation of the pad in relation to water level. For me, I remove the pump lid and open the air relief valve on top of the filter to drain water from the plumbing.