Check my math on borates

ParB

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Bronze Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
SF Bay area (silicon valley)
I have a 42000 gallon pool with an SWG. I estimated it by measuring but so far the poolmath apps prediction on effects of adding has been spot on, leading me to believe the pool is really 42,000 gallon.

I'm considering adding borates.
Using the poolmath app it suggests that I should add about 100lbs of borax mule team 20 or about 24.5 of the 64oz boxes of mule team borax that they have in home Depot.
That should yield borates of 32ppm, a TA of +74 and a PH of +4.1

To counter that I should add 5.75 gallon of 31.5% muriatic acid, this will yield PH -4.2 and TA -69

My current TA level is 100. How important is it that I reduce TA further down before adding borates? Poolmath suggests I should be between 60-90 (I reduced it from 140 to 100 when I took over managing the pool from the pool company 2 years ago).

Does the above sound about right?

And just to confirm, this is the stuff I should put in the pool?

PXL_20220722_010738087.jpg

It is far better to use boric acid, granular. It has little effect on the pH. You can get it through DudaDiesel.

Something like this (I found it on his website)
Granular Boric Acid, 55 lb
Granular Form / White Crystal
99.9+% Pure - Technical/Industrial Grad
Heavy Duty 6-Gal Pail with Tear-Strip Resealable Lid

And I use the pool math boric acid category for it?
55lbs should raise BOR +27 and reduce PH -0.4

technical/industrial grade is the right grade?

Any special instructions on how to add it? I read the pool school and the first few posts on the sticky but I may have missed where to look for this chemical.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.