Check list for replacing liner on 30 ft above ground pool

linda1

Mar 26, 2010
Western Pa.
Our pool was installed May of 2010. The liner doesn't have any leaks, but has faded badly and feels stiff above the water line. I just ordered a new beaded liner. Do I need to replace skimmer and return gaskets? What about the foam cove? Anything else? Trying to get my ducks in a row even though it will probably be May before it is warm enough to think about doing this. Also, with a beaded liner, we don't need to remove the top plate and rail, right? I pray I'm right or my husband will be very unhappy with me. He isn't 100% into this project. I have grown kids and grandkids willing to help. Thanks for any advice!

I would plan on replacing the skimmer and return gaskets. I would also replace the cove if you have foam coving. IT may be fine, but they tend to get compressed over time. I would also have some good primer and a wire brush on hand just in case there's a tiny bit of corrosion on the wall.

You may have to remove the top rails, but it's very easy to remove and replace the top rails on most pools.

I'd have a couple of soft brooms on hand. They help smooth out the dry liner without damaging it.

I would plan on replacing the skimmer and return gaskets. I would also replace the cove if you have foam coving. IT may be fine, but they tend to get compressed over time. I would also have some good primer and a wire brush on hand just in case there's a tiny bit of corrosion on the wall.

You may have to remove the top rails, but it's very easy to remove and replace the top rails on most pools.

I'd have a couple of soft brooms on hand. They help smooth out the dry liner without damaging it.
Thank you!

Not starting off on a good foot. The liner I ordered came with a hole in the side of the box. My husband didn't notice it when he helped unload it. Of course with our luck the liner had two punctures. They are hard to see, but when I took a picture and cropped it you could easily see them. Company was very good about sending a return label. Fingers crossed that the replacement comes in tact.

+1. If you were going to find it damaged. *Now* was the time. It still stinks, but not nearly as bad. :)

Reactions: linda1
Hi Linda, I DIYd my liner on my 30 foot pool about 5-6 years ago with the help of this forum. And literally, did it by myself, no other helping hands.
Agree about treating rust and any seems or things like that you will want to put a bunch layers of duct tape over to ensure no sharp edges.

I watched a number of videos on youtube to get some further tips, one of which I remember was taping card board flaps to my shoes so when I walked on the sand bottom I didn't leave giant footprints. The shop-vac trick worked well too.

Here is my thread, should give you a sense of what you are in for and help in planning.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Game plan to change liner this Saturday. Weather was to be 80's with 15% chance of rain. Now it is forecasting 90's with 25% rain. Son and grandson was to help. Grandson is down with the flu. So me and hubby both 73 with bad shoulders and 50 year old son will have to do this. Keep your fingers crossed for us! I'm extremely nervous about doing this. On a good note, we cut the liner to expose sides and left bottom to protect sand. We didn't find any rust! By the skimmer it is just dirt smudges.

Attachments

• 20220519_190356.jpg
    20220519_190356.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 20220519_190419.jpg
    20220519_190419.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.