Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
I'm going to need a sump pump. The pool on the new house doesn't have an overflow pipe like my old pool. I pulled back the mesh safety cover to see the water level is within an inch to the top of the fiberglass and we're getting rain most days this coming week. I don't need this pump for any other purposes. I also have a sump pump pit. So I would want a pump that could fit the opening (less than 7.5") if I ever had issues of water around the shell of the fiberglass pool. Why is it that some manufacturers don't supply dimensions? Probably need at least 8' of power cord. Likely don't need to be concerned with high flow rate. Auto shutoff would be a nice feature but probably not necessary.

Are there any brands to avoid due to reliability issues? Or just buy any pump that meets the criteria?

Last edited:
Or just buy any pump that meets the criteria?
This ^^.

I sought out one that could handle 1 1/4" pvc thread for high volume and can also attach a garden hose. 12 Foot was my requirement for the power cord, I wanted the extension cord connection as far away from water as possible.

Reactions: Newdude
Think about if you want a pump with a float switch or not.

Some pumps listed in…

Probably don't need it. The pump will mainly be used to lower the water level in the pool. I have yet to see any water in the sump pump pit. I may never need it there.

Reactions: PoolStored
I just got a half stainless version of this 1 HP for under $60. I had every intent of getting a 1.5 inch discharge but it does so well with the 1 inch hose I already have that I'm not spending anymore money until I need to.

It won't let me link the exact one for whatever reason but it's prostormer brand 1HP

Screenshot_20230129_090829_Chrome.jpg

Previously I had a superior brand 1/3 HP that lived a good life.

Last edited:
To remove water from the pool, I use whatever cheap submersible utility pump is available from HD or Lowe's. I tried the ones with the built in float for on/off - they haven't worked well for me. My current approach is to leave it on the top step inside the pool and just leave it running. (I wrap the cord around the railing so it doesn't tip over.) It cannot remove too much water this way - and who cares if a cheap pump runs dry. I have this one right now - has even run dry for a while and still works. (remember to plug it into a GFCI protected outlet.)

My pool doesn't have an overflow drain either, so I remove about an inch of water before the rain and I put this on the top step if we expect prolonged rain. (which we do this week in NC...)

My sump pit has a better quality Little Giant pump in it, which runs a lot in the spring, but otherwise, the sump pit stays dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.