Chasing down a leak

We have a 25'x40'x3'6" 25,000 gallon gunite pool which is at least 20 years old. The previous owner had done DIY repairs over the years. Basically draining and patching it every 2-3 years.

We knew it was leaking but had never quantified it until I converted it to salt water a few weeks ago. From the salt levels I determined we were losing 750-1,000 gallons per day.

We then decided to turn off the fill line and the pump and let it sit. After a week, we had lost 6.5 inches. So, definitely a leak. Just not sure where. So decided to let it keep dropping. After 2 weeks, it seems to have stabilized just below MOST of the returns. There are still 2 returns below water level but it doesn't seem to be going down now.

Looking for ideas on tracing and fixing the leak.

At this..at point, I would look at the following:
- Inspecting the return jets just above the waterline
- The entire wall (liner) perimeter of that new waterline
- Is there a light (if installed) at that same height? That could be another suspect area

Now that you've narrowed-down area, consider increasing the water again slightly and testing carefully with some food dye. It doesn't take much of a tear to cause problems.

full

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.