Changing out air relief valve on DE filter

mattco

Gold Supporter
Jun 24, 2018
Herndon VA
I'm wondering what mistake I made changing out the air relief valve on my DE filter. The air relief valve began to leak recently, so I replaced it. It was successful, and water no longer leaks from the top of the filter, which is great, but I think I missed a step. I turned the pump off, and removed the air relief valve completely. Immediately I could hear water draining from the filter and I saw through the clear plastic on the top of my pump that the pump strainer basket was filling with cloudy DE laced water, and (I think) that water flowed back into my pool through the return jets. Oops!! Was I supposed to set the filter to backwash or winterize beforehand? I don't imagine I'll have do this procedure often, but I'm curious.

Welcome to TFP.

I am not sure what settings you have on your MPV. But it sounds like you rinsed the filter back into the pool when you opened the air valve with the pump off.

I am not sure a different MPV setting would prevent the filter from draining down. You might want to backwash the DE out first. Then open the air valve. Then load new DE in.

How did you manage to remove the valve? Mine is leaking a bit around the seal. I tried to spin it off, but I dared not twist harder for fear of breaking something.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.