Changing from suction to return

Dave31410

Bronze Supporter
Feb 27, 2018
Savannah, GA
When my pool was built, the builder plumbed three lines into one side of the pool. The two near the ends are returns. The center one was supposed to be for a pressure cleaner. I deleted the pressure cleaner and asked that the center line be tied into the pump suction to be used as a vacuum line, which I used a few times before getting a robot. Since then I have not used it. I am thinking of re-plumbing the line as another return. Would this be beneficial, and would I ever miss having a place to attach a vacuum hose?

Post a pic of your setup. Depending how it is plumbed it may or may not make a return difference. If nothing else though it will increase water circulation. I also have an unused pressure/return port for a cleaner that I have never used. I crack the valve though every once in awhile to keep the water in that pipe fresh. It also bypasses my heater and SWG if I would ever need that.

On your setup I would always have some water coming out of the vacuum port but not get rid of it. You can probably find an eyeball that fits it if you want to be able to direct the water. You could also do a "poor man's" water feature like a rain spray by making a simple PVC water feature and connecting it to this port.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On your setup I would always have some water coming out of the vacuum port but not get rid of it. You can probably find an eyeball that fits it if you want to be able to direct the water. You could also do a "poor man's" water feature like a rain spray by making a simple PVC water feature and connecting it to this port.
that is the plan. add an eyeball, and replace it with a spray when it gets hotter. The Jandy valve would balance the flow

Reactions: PoolGate
Yes! At 2 psi and going lower when you add that extra return, I think you would want more movement in the pool.

I believe it's a good idea to keep as much debris and dirt moving around the pool (to ultimately be captured in your filter) rather than having flow too weak and the pump not doing enough work to keep things stirred up.

Yes! At 2 psi and going lower when you add that extra return, I think you would want more movement in the pool.

I believe it's a good idea to keep as much debris and dirt moving around the pool (to ultimately be captured in your filter) rather than having flow too weak and the pump not doing enough work to keep things stirred up.

I've thought about this. Wouldn't more low flow be the same overall flow as less higher flow? I mean return water is the same volume over time regardless of how many outlets you have, right? Note: I don't know squat about fluid dynamics.

I've thought about this. Wouldn't more low flow be the same overall flow as less higher flow? I mean return water is the same volume over time regardless of how many outlets you have, right? Note: I don't know squat about fluid dynamics.
Imagine you have a hose with no nozzle. Then place your thumb over the end of the hose to make a stream. The flow is reduced but the pressure is increased. Pool pumps are high volume, low pressure, so you want the pressure in the returns to be sufficient to create flow to the skimmer. Larger return openings would allow higher volume, but less velocity so that the surface flow towards the skimmer would be less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.