Changed Pump Motor now Pump cavitates upon startup for a couple seconds

Apr 12, 2011
TN
Have a 22k gallon pool with Jandy CL460 Filter and Jandy Stealth SHPF 1.5 pump. The motor recently went out and I replaced with a Century HSQ220. Same THP as old motor.
Now upon startup the new motor cavitates around the lid for a couple seconds and shakes bad each time. Pump is bolted down and it doesn't help. There is a 2" PV coming in that is fed by 2 skimmers on 1.5" and one pool drain on 1.5". I have tightened unions and have a fairly new lid and the seal is lubed. Each start shakes surrounding plumbing and gets air into system.

Attachments

• IMG_0817 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_0817 - Copy.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 26
Is the plumbing to the pump ok in the photo? It has a 2" elbow right at the pump.

Just to clarify again when the pump is switched on it rumbles and you see air bubbles come in around the lid and it shakes the overhead pipes quite a bit. It IS bolted down too lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0821.JPG
    IMG_0821.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 19
No this is the original plumbing, just changed the motor as the old one failed. The old pump motor would never run with the skimmers or main drain shut off as it always would cavitate with even the slightest turn of the 3 way valve. Now instead of turning on smoothly the pump shakes for just a couple seconds as it turns on and you can see air pulled in around the lid as it has so much force I assume. It is bolted firmly but still this action shakes the plumbing above it and the pump itself during those first 2 seconds. I have a one year old lid and I double checked the lid seal. It is fine.

I assume the new motor is just more aggressive when it starts. Would a smaller impeller solve this or new plumbing to get a straight line to pump? But I can't see a easy way to re do the plumbing.

I'm thinking of getting a VS pump but hate to after I spent $400 on this motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.