Destrehan, Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I had a new pool built which was completed this past April, 11,600 gallons, SWG with quarts aggregate plaster, small sheer decent water fall and a raised hot tub. I've been following the trouble free pool suggested chemical levels in the pool math chemical calculator. My CH hardness had been steadily rising all summer, some people told me this was probably due to the plaster curing. My question is in the pool math calculator the suggested CH levels are 350 to 450 ppm, my CH levels have balanced out at 420 ppm, is that too high even though it is in the suggested range? I have a little scaling with parts of the plaster feeling like sand paper but that may be due to at one point my CH was around 510 PPM. My chemical testing done today with my Taylor kit were FC 8, Combined Chlorine 1, TA 60, PH 7.4, CYA 30, CH 420, Salt 3000, water temp is 60. I've also been having to add acid regularly due to rising PH from plaster curing.

A CH of 420 is fine as long as you continue to use the PoolMath tool (or APP) to monitor your "CSI" level which is obtained from the combination of pH, TA, CH and water temp. So even though the CH may be trying to climb slowly, the others, maintained a little lower as needed, help to compensate. An ideal CSI of about -0.1 to -0.3 should help to minimize scale trying to form.

On a side note, it's good your FC is at a strong 8 at the moment, but watch it closely. With SALT pools we typically recommend a CYA of 70-80, but this time of year with the sun at lower angles and not as intense, you may get away with it. In the spring/summer you'll want more CYA though.

Cjbyrd, how are you sanitizing the pool now.... during winter? Is your SWG still working in the cold water? The reason I ask is if the SWG is not working...you're not using any calcium containing chlorine products instead, right??

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: cjbyrd
Cjbyrd, how are you sanitizing the pool now.... during winter? Is your SWG still working in the cold water? The reason I ask is if the SWG is not working...you're not using any calcium containing chlorine products instead, right??

I'm in south Louisiana so no freezes here, I have the pump and SWG running year round. I probably need to adjust the settings to run a little less often in winter. Right now still running 8 hours a day and 4 hours at night on low speed.

i'm in Georgia myself, but my water is too cold for the SWG to work. I am just surprised if yours still is? Do you know what temp your water is?
Doubtful you need to run it that many hours this time of year unless you like the skimming action?

i'm in Georgia myself, but my water is too cold for the SWG to work. I am just surprised if yours still is? Do you know what temp your water is?
Doubtful you need to run it that many hours this time of year unless you like the skimming action?

My water temp is 60 right now

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.