CH & PH for vinyl pools

richierich

Bronze Supporter
Jul 12, 2013
Long Island, NY
The pool store near me usually has a special for $.99 cal hypo bags. I've been using them lately here in NY since we had a really hot summer and noticed some algae creeping up. Plus my SWG stopped working. I wanted to know at what level is too high for calcium in a vinyl above ground pool liner.

Currently I'm at 250. Should I stop using the bags and buy bleach, which is much more expensive. Also, what damage can be done to the liner from the cal hypo

As an aside I just tested my PH for the first time in a long time and it's 8.2. For years its always been 7.5 without having to do anything. Now I'm reading that Cal Hypo raises the PH, is that true? I guess I need to buy muriatic acid, huh?

I've never bought muriatic acid before. Is this ok?? https://www.lowes.com/pd/Klean-Strip-1-Gallon-Safer-Muriatic-Acid/3036169

Last edited:
I wanted to know at what level is too high for calcium in a vinyl above ground pool liner.
The lower the better. But once it gets to around 500+ you begin to complicate things later, especially with the SWG (scale). Liquid chlorine is always preferred, but just keep an eye on things. You still have room for CH and you'll be closing soon anyway.

I just tested my PH for the first time in a long time and it's 8.2.
That will magnify the effects of calcium in the water. Do your best to keep the pH at 7.8 or below. Yes, the acid from Lowe's will work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.