thecardmaker

Silver Supporter
May 27, 2020
Houston, TX
FC 6.5
pH 7.6
TA 150
CH 310

#1 Ideal CH is 350-550. Should I raise mine? I've read other threads where it was suggested that test results be posted and help would be provided to give a suggestion for a specific pool. That's what I'm hoping for. Since I recently completed a drain to lower CYA I want to be cautious with increasing CYA and CH.

#2 According to the CYA/FC chart my target FC is 5-7. Is there any reason why I shouldn't add LC daily to bring FC to 9? I'd like to do this because its my in laws pool in their backyard, not mine. I won't always know when they have grandkids over to swim so I'd like to keep it the FC higher to prevent going below the minimum.

#1 Leave your CH alone. The range of acceptability for CH is Larger than 350-550 and yours will tend to naturally rise anyway.

#2 I would leave FC at 5-7. If 9 gives you some cushion then 10 gives you even more....so does 11 and then 12 etc. Soon you are wasting a lot of chlorine.

Your pool normally loses 2-3 ppm daily so if it loses 4-5 during a swim party, you are bringing it back to 7 immediately so no harm done.

Reactions: thecardmaker
What causes the CH to raise naturally?
Similar to CYA, it essentially never goes away and accumulates as you add fill water. If your fill water is really low in CH, that can take a VERY long time. Conversely it can happen quickly if you live in the Southwest where CH is usually pretty high.

Reactions: thecardmaker
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.