CH level 120 in new pool. Raise or leave alone?

kevinskii

Gold Supporter
Aug 6, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I tested CH for the first time yesterday, after having water in the new pool for a month. The level was [EDIT] 130, which is fairly short of the 250-650 range. I called our pool maintainer and asked if he could bring by some calcium chloride on his next visit to bring it into range. He said that he would be happy to do so, but in his experience it would be better not to because the CH level will naturally tend to increase over time, and will tend to speed up the "unavoidable" (in his words) accumulation of white deposits on the tile. Thank you, as always, for your expertise. Perhaps in another 10 years I'll become a somewhat useful contributor around here too.

Last edited:
Depends. Can you fill out your signature with what type of pool you have, equipment, etc?

If you keep your TA level high you can get away with less CH. But I see you are trying to lower your TA.

Oops! I forgot to update my signature. Fixed. Based on your post, it sounds like it wouldn't hurt to bring up the CH a bit. I am indeed trying to lower the TA at the moment. Last reading was 120ppm after reducing pH to 7.2. I'm aerating to bring the pH back up and will repeat as necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.