Central Texas Mystery: One or both skimmer lids occasionally come off overnight

StacyTX

Gold Supporter
Jun 4, 2016
Leander, Texas
It happens only in the summer and with or without the pool running. Does this happen to anyone else?
Is an animal opening them to eat the beetles from the basket?
Is something big exiting the pool through the skimmer opening? We are super confused. Any guesses?

***EDITED TO ADD VIDEO OF THE CULPRIT

Raccoon feeds from pool skimmer - YouTube

732b891a2ed47fe5ba950b6e46ed40dd.jpg
dd40bc945ad696f5a3df83502fa4522a.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have any friends that hunt?
Ask if you can borrow one of their trail cameras, and try to catch the culprit on film.
I see some muddy paw prints... are those from your dog?

Sprinkle flour around them to see if it's an animal.

Otherwise my first thought was air in your system pushing water back through the skimmer when the pump shuts off or solar panels doing the same when they drain.

Flour is a great idea. Or maybe baby powder because raccoons hate to get it on their paws.

I can't decide if I want to deter him though. The only thing in the skimmer was dog hair and spent hibiscus flowers. Kinda nice.

It's happened 10-12 times now and the skimmer lids have never been dropped in the pool.

It happens regardless of operation so it can't have anything to do with pressure. Unless a freak burst of high air pressure can descend?

My husband lurks here, so a game cam is probably already Amazon Priming it's way to our house.

can you teach him to use the pool net and clean the rest of the pool?

If you really want to feed him, leave the pool lights on in June and MILLIONS of June bugs will climb in and be trapped...make sure you also leave the pump on a low speed to bring them into the skimmer

Another idea, is the put a light next to a big clear plastic container, 100's of June bugs will find their way into the container and he'll be so full he won't mess w the skimmer. Learned that trick from some country folks at the ranch to harvest their fishing bait...ducks aren't the only ones that loves June bugs - tstex

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I love that he cleans those gross bugs out for me. I will run lights more to make sure he/she always has plenty.

I love raccoons. As long as they're not damaging my property they are adorable. I'm really thankful it wasn't a snake

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.