Central Texas Fiberglass Pool Build

A couple of more pictures...with the concrete drying and the color starting to come through.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 342
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 342
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 341
Tilers came today. Very much surprised by them showing up today as I was told Thursday. Anyway, here are some pictures. He told me that the haze would be able to wiped off tomorrow.

My only concern is when I asked about grouting the bottom part of the tile, he said no they don't do that, just the grout lines between the tile and the top concrete. This seems odd to me that you would leave this part exposed for water to get behind the tile. Should I make them redo this?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 290
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 291
Grout doesn't keep water out, since tile and grout aren't waterproof at all! As long as the tile was installed correctly (proper thinset mix and good thinset coverage), they should stay attached just fine. I'm guessing they don't grout the bottom because the sand could scratch the finish of the pool.

Tiler came back out today to seal the tile and grout. Over course it has been raining here after lunch. He said he didn't but I can't tell. Also, PB said the tiler was going to come back tomorrow to grout on the bottom side of the tile. My question was why didn't he do that today when he was out? Just doesn't make sense?

Well, the tile guy came out and seal, but he also caulked the underside of the tile. Well, the job was subpar, very messy and missing areas. He is to come back out Wednesday to complete the job.....correctly.

Update: We were really unpleased with the way the tile came out. We have a variation between the water line and tile up to 1". Builder said this was acceptable variance in this size fiberglass pool. Of course, then I pointed out the grout variation from .25 inch to 1 inch. The 1" grout line is also where the 1" variance from the water line....so my question to him is 2" acceptable? No answer.

Tile guy says the concrete wasn't poured correctly. I showed him the slope variation which is more extreme on one side due to them trying to make our slope to drop down to our existing patio. I explained how I called our "foreman" and he assured me everything was level. Of course, he was released from the company and no follow up was done and the build continued. Long story short he agreed that he didn't do a good job overseeing the build. He made a couple of options upgrades to us since the tile grout is just so extreme.

Option 1: Robotic pool cleaner. Not interested since I purchased a Polaris 360.

Option 2: Kool Deck that would overlap the cantilever edge down to the tile. We took this option. I am hoping it will help make the tile grout thickness less noticeable. Right now the concrete is 1 color and the grout another which makes it unattractive to me.

We were able to swim this weekend and we did a bunch of yard work. We brought in 12 yards of topsoil and spread it around both the front and back yards. Here are a couple of pics. Plan on throwing out seed first to see if we can get it going. Sprinkler System is next on the list.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 176
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 176
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 176
Update: Got a contract amendment via email. Basically the offer was to Sundek our decking. I don’t like the following clause...

“This being done in an even exchange for the issues that had arisen with the workmanship and product involving the concrete, tile and level variation and by doing this PB cannot be held responsible for any current or future issues that may arise pertaining to any concrete, tile or level variation.”
Our current contract warranties the concrete for 1 year with the subcontract for repairs that meet a certain criteria. We noticed on our first swim, since were in the water, that there are already grout line cracks in places.

I no longer feel confident with this offer. Any input?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It actually sounds reasonable to me. He's just saying that if he fixes it with the Sundek you can't come back and have him fix the same problem of unlevelness again. Now if something else (cracking) happens the original warranty is still in effect.

You may want to have a lawyer read it and make sure that's what it means.

Sounds like he might be trying to say that you won't come after him anymore for the tile and concrete being unlevel, though it's poorly written and could be interpreted more broadly so you're right to be concerned. By poorly written, I mean the way I read it, it could be seen as him not being responsible for any current or future issue regarding 1) Concrete, 2) Tile, or 3) Level Variation (in other words, concrete problems in general, tile problems in general, or level variation problems... three separate potential issues).

I think a more accurate way to write that would have been "...that may arise pertaining to any concrete or tile level variation."

--Michael

Spoke with PB. They basically said that when Sundek come, their warranty takes over. Sundek warranty does not cover cracking in the concrete. It does cover chipping of material and bonding failure for 3 years. I know concrete will crack, which is fine. I guess my issue is if we get a hugh crack then who covers. The fear of the unknown....

Sundek stated they could wait until the end of the summer season to come out because the process will take a week. This might be our best option especially after the summer sun/heat of Texas takes it toll on the decking. And we would like to enjoy our pool.

Discussed grout cracks with PB and I will be sending them pictures later today. They said they can send someone out to fix. This shouldn't be happening already when the tile just got installed last week. Also, we have a discoloration that is about 12"x12" in size like something spilled on the surface. I plan to also send pictures to them to see if this is normal. It just doesn't look like the rest of the pool gel coating.

The deck right now is just concrete with integral color and salt-rock finiish. PB offered sundek to help with our issue of tile grout line differentation throughout the pool from .25" to 1"+.

Now we have another issue with the tile, the grout is cracking and falling off in areas exposing the stuff that they used to bond the tile to the fiberglass. It is bright white and really sticks out.

We will see what they do with that.

These show the grout cracks and starting to crumble off. The cracks have gotten much worse in just 2 days. One is over 5 feet long.

Attachments

• grout 2.jpg
    grout 2.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 97
  • grout 5.jpg
    grout 5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 97
  • grount coming off 4.jpg
    grount coming off 4.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 97
These pictures some more areas of where the white is now showing through. There are many more places like this. When we same on Monday, they weren't there, but yesterday they were. I hate to see what it will look like in a week or two if left as is.

Attachments

• grount coming off 3.jpg
    grount coming off 3.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 95
  • grount coming off 2.jpg
    grount coming off 2.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 94
  • grount coming off 1.jpg
    grount coming off 1.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 95
From the pictures it looks like salt buildup or discoloration. If it is the mastic they attached the tiles with it looks like there was too much and it made the grout "thin" in those areas (which would result in it being weakened).

As for the cracks between the concrete and grout that was bound to happen either do to settleing of the concrete of different expansion/contraction rates between two different materials. The only was to prevent that would be to have a caulk joint between the grout and concrete.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.