Central NY Grateful Newbie

Jul 15, 2018
Liverpool, NY
SO glad I found this site!! We just moved into an older home (Cir. 1972) with an IG pool last fall. Opening the pool in the spring was a surprise. Lots of debris and stains that looked like from leaves and waaay too much chlorine on the bottom of the liner. I use test strips every morning to make sure we are keeping chemical levels up. We were beginning to think we had filter problems because there was always "dirt" at the bottom of the pool and we seemed to be vacuuming at least every other day. The pool has been crystal clear and according to my test strips everything was in the safe zone. :) Yesterday I gave the pool some extra love because my husband power washed the concrete and there was more debris in the water. I brushed the walls and floor of liner and then vacuumed. Our pump/motor/filter is located a good distance from the pool and using the skimmer vac is NOT a one person job - so we purchased a little $80 battery operated vac and it's been great! We swam in the afternoon/evening and then this morning I woke up to the dirtiest pool I'd ever seen! It looked like there was so much dirt and we didn't have bad weather or anything! All chem levels were still spot on - FC was at 3 and water still crystal clear. That's when I knew something was up.

And then I found TFP. <3

I read through some posts on algae, googled some images....and there you have it - mustard algae. The dirt we thought had been from the filter, was actually algae. we'd vacuum, it would go away and then come back. Nothing super severe until this morning. So I have educated myself on the correlation between the CYA and FC. We have begun the process today to clear it up and sanitize everything. Not I just need to purchase an OCLT test kit to make sure we kill it all! It's going to be a pain because we are in for a HOT week, and when we normally shock the pool it takes 3 days for chlorine to level out. I have a feeling this process is going to take a full week. We will be better for it.

So thank you all TFP contributors. Without you all, I have a feeling we would gave gone round and round with the pool store people.

Good day to stay in the A/C and get those indoor projects done. Or maybe movie marathon?

Welcome to the TFP pool! :splash:

Time to retire those test strips and order a TF100 test kit and at least include the XL option. That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use..

The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want. Even then it is a little short on the reagent & powder for the FAS/DPD test.

While entirely optional, I also have the SpeedStir and Sample Sizer. They speed testing and accuracy.

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF100 test kit has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Until you get your kit, each day I want you to put one bottle of bleach (yes, the same stuff you use for laundry) in the pool with the filter running. Be careful, it needs to be plain bleach, no scents, no EZ-Pour and none of the new Cloramax or laundry enhancing formulas. No solid forms of chlorine until we can see if you have a CYA issue, but lets prove/disprove that with a test kit.

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

Thanks tim5055, I'm on it! Just ordered the test kit, xl opt, and speedstir.

No worries about the pool store, it's ALWAYS packed with people and it takes forever to check out. We cringe when we think about going there. And yes, depending on who you ask....some are more knowlegable than others.

So I did a check (yes, with my test strips) this morning before logging in, and the CYA level is 30-50, FC 3, TA 80 and PH 7.2. (looking forward to seeing true numbers with test kit)

Found a bottle of "Yellow Out" in the shed left from previous owners - so obviously mustard algae was an issue - Should I use that? Or just do liquid chlorine and brushing?

Thanks!

Noooooo!! No Yellow Out!! That stuff is ammonia based and will mess you up big time.

Just plain, unscented, non-thickened, non-Cloramax, generic bleach or liquid chlorine. You can buy the bleach from the laundry aisle. I'd put a gallon in per day and brush while you wait for your test kit.

Maddie :flower:

Algae Update & just got test kit - Next steps?

While waiting for my test kit to arrive (since Sunday), I have been adding 1 gal bleach to my pool and brushing 2x/day. This morning (Wed) pool was cloudy but I noticed the algae seemed a bit less. I took this as a good sign. Got home from work and my test kit was waiting on the porch! (the geek in me was very excited) :

Here are my results:

FC .5
PH 7.5
CH 150
TA 170
CYA 100

Algae report: looked about the same as this morning so I brushed again.

Next steps to rid myself of algae? Do I need to lower the CYA? Keep adding bleach?

Barbie

Re: Algae Update & just got test kit - Next steps?

It will go a lot easier, quicker and cheaper (bleach and TIME) if you can lower it to about 40 if water replacement is not a big issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

I was just looking at the pool math. I've been using 6% bleach concentrate.
Guess I need to drain some water first.

Pool Math said to add 64oz of 6% bleach
422oz baking soda (for TA)
209oz stabilizer or 519oz liquid stabilizer

I've read the mustard algae is chlorine resistant, so do I need to get rid of the algae before I SLAM? Or is the ticket to be rid of it getting my CYA in check?

Thx!

I was just looking at the pool math. I've been using 6% bleach concentrate.
Guess I need to drain some water first.

Pool Math said to add 64oz of 6% bleach
422oz baking soda (for TA)
209oz stabilizer or 519oz liquid stabilizer

I've read the mustard algae is chlorine resistant, so do I need to get rid of the algae before I SLAM? Or is the ticket to be rid of it getting my CYA in check?

Thx!
Hold on, there!

Unless you have replaced a whole bunch of water and have some new test results, you don't need to do anything with CYA or TA, and the FC is waaaaaay too little to kill algae.

If you're going to replace some water to lower CYA, then do it, let it mix well, and retest. Then deal with pH and go for a SLAM. Even if you replace every drop of water on the pool you'll still need to SLAM just to eradicate any residual spores hidden in the plumbing. It may only take a day, but it's a SLAM nonetheless.

Gail something is off!!! As Richard states do NOT add any stabilizer as it WILL increase your CYA even more!! Danger...

For a 25K gallon pool with an FC of .5 pool math tells me you need 390oz of 6% bleach? This is assuming you are using TFP method, plaster and no SWG. Is this correct? Your FC minimum is 8 and thats where the 290oz will get you.

I could be doing something wrong so an expert or moderator needs to validate my findings. Its not the end of the world and TFP will fix this...

Re: Algae Update &amp; just got test kit - Next steps?

Hold on, there!

Unless you have replaced a whole bunch of water and have some new test results, you don't need to do anything with CYA or TA, and the FC is waaaaaay too little to kill algae.

If you're going to replace some water to lower CYA, then do it, let it mix well, and retest. Then deal with pH and go for a SLAM. Even if you replace every drop of water on the pool you'll still need to SLAM just to eradicate any residual spores hidden in the plumbing. It may only take a day, but it's a SLAM nonetheless.

@Richard320 - I haven't taken any water out yet. Are you saying I really don't have to? If all I need to do is SLAM (right now) then I will get more bleach on the way home tonight and get it started. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Gail something is off!!! As Richard states do NOT add any stabilizer as it WILL increase your CYA even more!! Danger...

For a 25K gallon pool with an FC of .5 pool math tells me you need 390oz of 6% bleach? This is assuming you are using TFP method, plaster and no SWG. Is this correct? Your FC minimum is 8 and thats where the 290oz will get you.

I could be doing something wrong so an expert or moderator needs to validate my findings. Its not the end of the world and TFP will fix this...

@ctrav - I'm using TFP method, no SWG, no plaster. I have vinyl liner.
I'm determined to clear the algae and I'm ready to maintain. The fam is missing pool time!

@Richard320 - I haven't taken any water out yet. Are you saying I really don't have to? If all I need to do is SLAM (right now) then I will get more bleach on the way home tonight and get it started. :)

- - - Updated - - -

@ctrav - I'm using TFP method, no SWG, no plaster. I have vinyl liner.
I'm determined to clear the algae and I'm ready to maintain. The fam is missing pool time!
Attempting to SLAM at a CYA of 100ppm is going to be tough.... you would need to reach and hold a FC of 40ppm

Your best options are as Richard already stated, lower CYA, adjust pH then follow the SLAM procedure

SLAM Process

.......... If you're going to replace some water to lower CYA, then do it, let it mix well, and retest. Then deal with pH and go for a SLAM. Even if you replace every drop of water on the pool you'll still need to SLAM just to eradicate any residual spores hidden in the plumbing. It may only take a day, but it's a SLAM nonetheless.

Barbie, I think what Richard was reacting to so strongly was the fact that in comment #5, you'd mentioned adding....

"209oz stabilizer or 519oz liquid stabilizer"

and that addition would significantly INCREASE your CYA level. Stabilizer is cyanuric acid (or CYA). So draining off a significant amount of water and replacing it with fresh fill water will effectively lower your CYA. Then when you begin your SLAM Process process, it'll be easier to keep it going.

Re: Algae Update &amp; just got test kit - Next steps?

I'm using TFP method, no SWG, no plaster. I have vinyl liner.

Thanks for the update on your pool. PoolMath is telling me you need 286oz of 6% bleach to get FC from .5 to 6! Your minimum FC is 4 and target should be 6-8 FC. If its hot as it is here in Texas then perhaps you should strive for an FC of 8 in which case you need 390oz of 6% bleach...

These others have captured my thoughts completely.

Your CYA is already at 100. That's too high for day-to-day let alone to SLAM. If you're serious about ridding yourself of algae, start by replacing at least half of the water to lower the CYA.

I've learned soooo much since discovering you all on Sunday!! :) {sometimes I think my brain is going to explode}

Here's my game plan for tonight after work:
1.) Lower the water level & replace
2.) Go to walmart and get enough bleach +
3.) brush pool
4.) Let fresh water circulate overnight and test CYA and FC (which should still be nothing) levels in morning.
5.) If all is well - I will start first SLAM on Friday.

sound good?

Question: For the initial SLAM, do you add the bleach all at once? THEN in smaller amounts to keep the level up according to the chart until no signs of algae?

I know this is a process - but I just want to get it started. :kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support