Central Florida - Pools are not closed, what should I do different during "winter"?

Skenn81

Apr 23, 2018
Florida
Central Florida - Pools are not closed, what should I do different during "winter"?

No one closes their pools in central Florida, the concept doesn't exist. It does get too cold to swim and that's where I am now. Should I do anything different over the next 5 or 6 months when I am not swimming but the pool is still open and running? I am still checking the levels and adjusting just like I was during the warmer months, but it feels like such a waste since I wont be swimming until April or May.

I haven't changed anything in my routine or on the pump, besides having to add less chlorine when I check the levels.

It would be nice to just shut everything off and call it quits until May, but the weather still goes up to 85 on random days so I don't know if it's possible while it's still warm and not end up with a green soupy mess come next year.

Details in signature.

Re: Central Florida - Pools are not closed, what should I do different during "winter

Should I do anything different over the next 5 or 6 months when I am not swimming but the pool is still open and running?
Not really. You seem to be doing what needs to be done. Since the water temp will drop a bit, you're already noticing that the FC won't drop as fast as in the summer. That makes it a bit easier on us. Overall chemical changes slow down dramatically. You could probably minimize pump run time of you wanted. You still should run your brush around the pool occasionally and of course scoop out any junk that falls in. But for now, enjoy the slow time (maintenance wise) and look forward to next swimming season. :swim:

Re: Central Florida - Pools are not closed, what should I do different during "winter

How much, if at all, could I reduce my filter running? Right now it's set to go from 7am to 4pm with 4 of those hours on high speed/2500 rpms, and the rest at a low 800 rpms.

Run your pump enough to keep the pool clean to your satisfaction. Be sure to run the pump for an hour or so after adding chlorine or acid.

Unless you get a lot of surface debris, I doubt you need to run at high rpm. Also, 800 rpm is typically inefficient based on pump curves. Most VS pumps are most efficient between 1000 rpm and 1200 rpm.

Try 2 hours per day at ~1200 rpm or so and see how that does.

>>Also, 800 rpm is typically inefficient based on pump curves.

For that, it's just set to whatever the previous owner had, I never changed anything. We don't get much surface debris at all as it's an enclosed pool, the screen keeps everything out. Also according to your signature, you and I have the same pump. I also have a Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump.

I will switch it to the 1200 for 2 hours. Questions on that, I thought I read somewhere that you need to filter all your water through the pump each day, which is where the 6 to 8 hours comes from. It's needed to keep the water from sitting stale or something and growing algae. Is it better for it to run during the day, like at 12 - 2, or when the sun is down or just coming up in the morning?

Turnover is a myth. You should brush once a week but you only need to run your pump enough to keep your water clean and chemicals distributed.

Time of day is up to you. In Florida you might run it mid day but if you happen to get air temp below 40 the pump will run on its own as freeze protection.

The pump has freeze protection built in? I will need to go check that out. I will turn off the 800 rpm times as well and leave on the higher rpm for the shorter time.

So turnover is a myth? With the two hours, that's enough to keep things distributed? Anything I need to keep an eye out for once I reduce the hours to make sure everything stays in order?

What does brushing do? I have a little vacuum machine thing that drives around, brushing will help?

You need to brush the walls, steps, etc at least once a week, especially when not swimming. It cleans those areas (your suction vac does not get there). A robot does a better job but still misses some places.

See if your pool stays clean. Here is something to read -- Pool School - Determine Pump Run Time

Well, I have disabled the 800rpm setting and have left it on for the higher rpm 4 hours of time. You also say reduce the rpms down below the 2500? What do you mean they are most efficient at 1200 rpms? How can I tell if it's actually effective or not, is there something I can watch?

Skenn, I believe Marty is out of pocket for a while. To your question about effectiveness ….. you simply want enough pump run time to:
- Operate a suction vacuum as (or if) needed
- Mix chemicals (usually about 30-60 minutes will do)
- Get any surface debris to the poolside skimmer

In the winter with colder temps, you don't need much more run time or rpm. As for the brushing, I use the analogy I give to my kids (parent speech :blah:) ….. you can gargle all you want, but you have to brush all areas to break-up any slime (film) that will start to cover the tooth (or pool) surfaces. So even though we keep chlorine in the water, the surface needs some agitation periodically to keep that film from settling in and providing a haven for algae.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

So where did the whole "you need to cycle your water once a day" thing come from? I will scrub my steps and walls going forward and run the pump full blast when I add my weekly chlorine, but besides that, the water doesnt need to be moving all day every day to keep from turning green?

So where did the whole "you need to cycle your water once a day" thing come from?
Just like pool store recommended levels - antiquated information that is not relevant in today's properly maintained pools. Do a simple search in the forum for "turnover" and you'll see many more threads disclaiming that requirement.

The water does not need to be circulating all day long, just enough to keep the debris pulled to the skimmer and to mix chemicals. Even to mix chemicals, full rpm may not be needed. Your call though. This time of year chlorine consumption should be much slower for you. Just make sure to check periodically to keep the FC at the proper level as noted on the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. You should see a pattern of how much FC drops each day.

I saw a discussion here about lower run times. I experimented with much shorter pump run times this past summer just to see what would happen. I have an old single speed pump and was previously running it about 5 hours a day. I lowered it to 1.5 hours/day all summer. Texas heat and all! The pool looked just as good as before. I kept my testing schedule the same, adding my chems at the beginning of the cycle. Gotta say I was very pleasantly surprised by both the results and a lower electric bill. And yes, ya gotta brush it too! Currently running it for an hour/day this winter. My pool is small and I'll adjust the time if it's not enough but so far so good.

As I start to reduce the time my pump is running what should I watch out for? Besides physical debris on the surface are there other things I should be aware of that may mean I need to up the time?

Chemicals will still be added in accordance to TFP levels and charts.

As I start to reduce the time my pump is running what should I watch out for? Besides physical debris on the surface are there other things I should be aware of that may mean I need to up the time?
Nope, you got it! Almost too easy right? Unlike old-school methodologies, the water does not need to be constantly moving or attempting to filter x-amount of water. So as long as the surface and overall condition of the water appears good, you're on the right track. If you're a bit unsure of where to start, simply reduce pump time by 1-hour increments from where you are now. If you see no negative changes in the water, knock run time down another hour. We can get by with less run times this time of year since organic activity is much slower. Some members run their pump only an hour or two at most. But each pool is different, so between your testing and how the water looks to your eyes, find that sweet spot of run time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.