Census Poll on Intex Users

I'm new to TFP...but, I've had Intex pools for 4 years now.

Started out with a 8 ft. round inflatable ring-2007.(the ring would NOT stay inflated)
Moved up to a metal frame 10'x30"-2008
Moved up to 16'x48"-2009 (bought the complete kit, pool, ladder, 2000 Gal pump/SWG)
2010- bought a Waterways 1hp sand filter pump & aquacritter

I am VERY happy with my setup. But, I live in Iowa(cold winters) and hate taking the pool down every winter. This winter I plan on keeping the pool up and winterizing it. Unless, I sell it to get a Splash pool. I took my pool down last year and got 7 small holes in it over the winter that had to be patched this spring. But, after getting all the holes patched, it is working perfectly with my 1hp pump. I LOVE being able to use the automatic pool cleaner!!! I know a 1hp pump/filter is over kill for my 16 footer....but, I plan on upgrading in the near future!

I also got the solar cover. I was able to swim by the end of May. Granted...we had a really warm April/May here in Iowa.

MrsFusion said:
I'm new to TFP...but, I've had Intex pools for 4 years now.

Started out with a 8 ft. round inflatable ring-2007.(the ring would NOT stay inflated)
Moved up to a metal frame 10'x30"-2008
Moved up to 16'x48"-2009 (bought the complete kit, pool, ladder, 2000 Gal pump/SWG)
2010- bought a Waterways 1hp sand filter pump & aquacritter

I am VERY happy with my setup. But, I live in Iowa(cold winters) and hate taking the pool down every winter. This winter I plan on keeping the pool up and winterizing it. Unless, I sell it to get a Splash pool. I took my pool down last year and got 7 small holes in it over the winter that had to be patched this spring. But, after getting all the holes patched, it is working perfectly with my 1hp pump. I LOVE being able to use the automatic pool cleaner!!! I know a 1hp pump/filter is over kill for my 16 footer....but, I plan on upgrading in the near future!

I also got the solar cover. I was able to swim by the end of May. Granted...we had a really warm April/May here in Iowa.

mrs fusion, if you dont mind me asking how do you like the aquacritter? i'm getting the intex sand filter and pump and i was looking at getting the aquacritter since i will have the power to run an above pool cleaner!

hhuck:

The 2000 might have run the critter, I didn't try it. I wanted to start this season with a sand filter. I hated cleaning the paper filters all the time!!! So when I bought the sand filter I also got the critter. The critter was on sale!

Also, I had a hand pole vacuum. It worked pretty good with the 2000gph, but, it didn't get ALL the sand off the bottom.

MrsFusion said:
hhuck:

The 2000 might have run the critter, I didn't try it. I wanted to start this season with a sand filter. I hated cleaning the paper filters all the time!!! So when I bought the sand filter I also got the critter. The critter was on sale!

Also, I had a hand pole vacuum. It worked pretty good with the 2000gph, but, it didn't get ALL the sand off the bottom.

Thanks for the quick reply. Enjoy your pool. :cheers:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
i have the 2000gal/hr intex pump and i know it wont run the critter. i had tried to run an above ground cleaner that a neighbor had and found out quickly that wasnt working. so i'm getting the intex sand filter/pump. it should do the job nicely with a near 1HP motor and a direct hookup to my existing intex connections! :whoot:

My son and I are in the process of setting up our 18' Easy Set. It is my first pool. He's the muscle, I'm the financier. :) We've got the ground level and will be doing the final prep this weekend before the pool goes up. Namely spraying the soil down with Round Up, spreading pest granules, laying down the Gorilla pad, followed by the Happy Bottom pad and then finally the pool! :woot:

I would love a dedicated forum.

JerseyKRS said:
My son and I are in the process of setting up our 18' Easy Set. It is my first pool. He's the muscle, I'm the financier. :) We've got the ground level and will be doing the final prep this weekend before the pool goes up. Namely spraying the soil down with Round Up, spreading pest granules, laying down the Gorilla pad, followed by the Happy Bottom pad and then finally the pool! :woot:

I would love a dedicated forum.

sounds like you have done your homework! you will enjoy your pool, especially in FLA as i am in GA with these hot summer days! :cheers:

jsf0656 said:
sounds like you have done your homework! you will enjoy your pool, especially in FLA as i am in GA with these hot summer days! :cheers:

lol, yes...this site helped a lot. We have two pools in our subdivision, but the new rule is 18 and under have to be accompanied by an adult. Our kids are 15,13,11, and 10. So, while we're working the kids can't use the pools...and we pay HOA fees! :roll:

Anyway, this site steered me towards the SWG, the better filter/pump, the TF-100 testkit (and the Speed Stir), borates and zeolite. I would love to have a dedicated forum where I could offer help to anyone else, as well as get information I may need.

:goodjob:

JerseyKRS said:
jsf0656 said:

lol, yes...this site helped a lot. We have two pools in our subdivision, but the new rule is 18 and under have to be accompanied by an adult. Our kids are 15,13,11, and 10. So, while we're working the kids can't use the pools...and we pay HOA fees! :roll:

Anyway, this site steered me towards the SWG, the better filter/pump, the TF-100 testkit (and the Speed Stir), borates and zeolite. I would love to have a dedicated forum where I could offer help to anyone else, as well as get information I may need.

:goodjob:

yep, this is where i learned everything about my first pool. its great to be able to share info and ideas that specificaly relate to our pools :wave:

bill022572 said:
Does anyone have any experience enlarging the holes in the liners from 1 1/4 " to 1 1/2 " for the larger intex fittings ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a matter of fact, I just did it the other night as i have a 2000GPH pump with the SWG and felt the smaller holes and fittings may be putting a strain on the pump. I used the large nuts to draw the hole and cut it out with an xacto knife. Slapped the new ones in and no problems. The rubber washers go on the inside of the pool. No more strain either on the fittings as the hoses now come off the bottom of the fitting instead of straight out. Good luck, and just take your time cutting and it'll be fine. Howie :cheers:

Thanks for the reply. :goodjob: I have a 16' round Intex pool that came with a 1000 gph pump. I got a great deal on a new 1500 gph pump which came with the larger fittings and am reluctant to buy the adaptors because of what you said. I know they tend to drag down on the sidewall of the pool plus you are restricting the water flow.

I started out with the small intex ring pool. Then a buddy of a buddy said he was gonna get rid of his 15x36 because he couldnt get it level.

I took it off his hands all I had to do was tear it down and bring it home.

Brought it home last summer had to do a lot of shoveling and raking to get a level spot in my yard of hills but after 2 days had the pool up and the kids loved it.

I may get a deeper intex at some point but I will always stick with intex. There pumps/filters are undersized but the pool it self is awesome.

I took extra time this year clearing rocks but even after that I got a few that stick up. But it doesnt seem to bother the liner at all. I have a thick tarp foled under it so the rocks have 2 thick layers to get thru before the hit the pool liner.
Im gonna try to push the rocks down 2morrow. Just read about that in a thread on here.
Next yr I will try to put a thin layer of sand under the tarp also.

We need an intex only section I have to look aroound to find stuff about them it would be nice if it was all in 1 place.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.