Stressed_era

May 23, 2021
Long island ny
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I'm just confused about the dosage. Bag says 6 cups for 24 sq ft. My filter is about 27 sq ft. That's not my issue though.

According to the chart on the bag you only need 1lb of DE per 10 sqft. So a 27 sqft filter would be only 2.7lb of DE. the label on my filter says to use 6lbs of DE.

So I'm confused if I should be using the bags recommendation for cellulose or should it be more? For the time being I put in the recommended 6 cups plus a little more to account for the 3 extra sqft.

I'm really hoping this cellulose works out because I don't have a good place to drain the DE when I backwash.

Typically you use 1/8 the volume of cellulose not the weight. A Perflex filter uses more DE because most of it sits at the bottom of the tank waiting to be used. They are regenerative "bump" filters. The handle bumps the dirty DE off. If weighs more than clean and the clean will replace it on the tubes. You could use a Hayward cleaning wand to clean out the filter each time and use the smaller amount. You will have to do a little experimenting with cellulose for that filter.

Hmm. How do I figure out the volume?

Also how would I know if there's not enough cellulose in the filter?

For what it's worth when I first moved in I was using probably half of the correct amount of DE and never had problem. Was using the wrong size scoop and less total scoops.

Hmm. How do I figure out the volume?

Also how would I know if there's not enough cellulose in the filter?

For what it's worth when I first moved in I was using probably half of the correct amount of DE and never had problem. Was using the wrong size scoop and less total scoops.
I would start with a 1-pound coffee can worth. That should work. In a common DE scoop you can buy I would fill it to the top loosely and use that amount only for a 60sq. ft. DE filter. I would use 3/4 of that for a 48 and pack it down for a 72 and had clean water with no issues. One scoop full.

My filter is only 27sq ft. So your saying a coffee can fit 60 SQ ft... So then half a coffee can for 27?
Sounds like a good start, yes. If you haven't used the cellulose in the past, be prepared for a short filter cycle as it soaks whatever oils are in the fabric of you filter tubes. If you haven't got a Hayward filter wand they are worth it for those filters. That is what they were made for.

Hayward EC2024​

A bit pricey, but they work and last. Had mine for 30 years.

I would start with a 1-pound coffee can worth. That should work. In a common DE scoop you can buy I would fill it to the top loosely and use that amount only for a 60sq. ft. DE filter. I would use 3/4 of that for a 48 and pack it down for a 72 and had clean water with no issues. One scoop full.
So I think I have it figured out...

1lb of DE is about 6 cups.

I put just over 6 cups of cellulose in the filter. 6 cups would roughly fill a 1lb coffee can like you suggested, just as 6 cups of DE would (or 6 cups of anything)

1/8th of 6 is .75
So I put in just a little more than that.

So as long as the rule of thumb that you use about 1/8th the amount by volume is accurate, I think I'm in good shape. Thanks for the tips.

Sounds like a good start, yes. If you haven't used the cellulose in the past, be prepared for a short filter cycle as it soaks whatever oils are in the fabric of you filter tubes. If you haven't got a Hayward filter wand they are worth it for those filters. That is what they were made for.

Hayward EC2024​

A bit pricey, but they work and last. Had mine for 30 years.
Well see I guess. I usually go all summer without needing to backwash. Pressure never rises. I did a good job cleaning, used some spray that you let sit and rinse off. The fingers were bright white when finished.

Well see I guess. I usually go all summer without needing to backwash. Pressure never rises. I did a good job cleaning, used some spray that you let sit and rinse off. The fingers were bright white when finished.
When cellulose fiber first came out the complaint of most who tried it was the filter had to be backwashed too soon after installation, sometimes the next day, and they were right. If it is applied to a used DE filter that will happen as the oils are soaked off the grids and the fiber gets "gummed" up. I was prepared for that as I had spoken to the manufacturer and was told what to expect. The only time it didn't happen was if new grids were installed at the time of the change, or the existing grids were soaked in a good filter-cleaning solution to remove the oils (suntan oil, body oil, leaf oils, etc.) If your filter is that clean you may not have an issue. Just trying to prepare you for what might happen.

The good part about others "hating" it was that many times they would give me what they had left. I serviced many commercial pools at the time and used at least 2 25lb. bags of the fiber a month (which was way better than the 100lb of DE a week I went through). Pools were cleaner and I had to do far fewer filter tear-downs to clean them. Didn't have to lug large buckets of DE to the pools either, just a scoop of fiber. The cost was about 20% more overall, but it saved hours of work.

When cellulose fiber first came out the complaint of most who tried it was the filter had to be backwashed too soon after installation, sometimes the next day, and they were right. If it is applied to a used DE filter that will happen as the oils are soaked off the grids and the fiber gets "gummed" up. I was prepared for that as I had spoken to the manufacturer and was told what to expect. The only time it didn't happen was if new grids were installed at the time of the change, or the existing grids were soaked in a good filter-cleaning solution to remove the oils (suntan oil, body oil, leaf oils, etc.) If your filter is that clean you may not have an issue. Just trying to prepare you for what might happen.

The good part about others "hating" it was that many times they would give me what they had left. I serviced many commercial pools at the time and used at least 2 25lb. bags of the fiber a month (which was way better than the 100lb of DE a week I went through). Pools were cleaner and I had to do far fewer filter tear-downs to clean them. Didn't have to lug large buckets of DE to the pools either, just a scoop of fiber. The cost was about 20% more overall, but it saved hours of work.
Thanks I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I've already checked the guage a bunch of times today.

About that Hayward wand, is it just like a high pressure attachment for the hose, or does it slide over the fingers or something?

My only gripe with the DE is not having a good place to drain it. If i had a wooded area or something I would just keep using it. Just hate when it dries in the lawn and then when I mow over it all the dust gets kicked up. Even when I clean the filter on the driveway, it always leaves behind dust and when I use the leaf blower the dust is in the air again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks I'll definitely keep an eye on it. I've already checked the guage a bunch of times today.

About that Hayward wand, is it just like a high pressure attachment for the hose, or does it slide over the fingers or something?

My only gripe with the DE is not having a good place to drain it. If i had a wooded area or something I would just keep using it. Just hate when it dries in the lawn and then when I mow over it all the dust gets kicked up. Even when I clean the filter on the driveway, it always leaves behind dust and when I use the leaf blower the dust is in the air again.
It is a right-angle sprayer that increases the pressure of the water a tremendous amount. They are an engineered piece of plastic that absolutely work to clean out that tank and for other cleaning uses as well. An RV holding-tank rinser might work if it will fit in the drain port in the side of your tank but won't likely have the same amount of cleaning power. Both have a right-angle spray.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.