CecilB, new member

ok, so with the cya at right over 60, I will try to keep FC between 24 and 28.
I just took a reading and it was 27.
I will take another test about 9 pm to see where it is and continue this process. It was easier today - no bodies in the water!

After I'm finished with the slam, then I will raise cya, and then get the swg going and the pH and alkalinity tests going.
thank you thank you thank you!
c

Hello Everyone!

Is this normal:

Last night, around 8:30pm, I tested and FC was 18.
I'm trying to keep FC at 24 for slamming since my cya is between 50 and 60.

I added enough bleach to bring it up to 24.
tested again around 9:15pm - it was 22.5 so I added enough to get it to 24.
Tested again about 30 minutes later and it was 24.5. CC was 1.

Tested again, at 8:00am this morning - FC was 22.5., so I added enough bleach again to get it up to 24.
tested at 11:00am
it was 20.5
Added enough to bring it up to 24,
tested at almost 1:00pm - it was 20. 5 again.
SO I just added another 17 oz of bleach...I'll check it again in two hours...

Is this normal?

(water looks gorgeous!)

c

Yes it's normal. There is still something in the water consuming your FC from your brushing. Are your skimmer baskets all clear? Have you checked all the nooks and crannies (ladders, lights, skimmer weirs, cleaners, etc.) for signs of algae?

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FINALLY!
According to my reading this morning, I did not lose any chlorine during the night - maybe a half point. CC is .5, and water looks crystal clear.

SO, now, I guess I just let the chlorine levels drift down.
If I want to switch over to SWG, I will need to up the cya. And when should I start paying attention (again) to pH and TA? Now? Or do I wait till the chlorine level isn't so high?

Thanks,
c

Congrats! Test PH as soon as FC gets to 9 and maintain it between 7.2 and 7.8, mid7s is best. See how your PH acts for a cojple of weeks before working on TA.

Thanks, everyone.
So my chlorine is down to 12.5 We are turning on the SWG right now. Hopefully there's still enough salt in the pool. I suppose the generator will let us know if there isn't - it'll say low salt. But it says that when the electrolyte thingie needs the vinegar wash...

The cya is also low, so I will be adding that tonight, too.

But I am guessing by tomorrow I will be able to start working on the pH.

The water was GORGEOUS today! I had to get in! I think that true happiness is the sparkly clean pool water in the sunshine! (Makes it seem like we weren't in Kansas!)

c

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, everyone.
So my chlorine is down to 12.5 We are turning on the SWG right now. Hopefully there's still enough salt in the pool. I suppose the generator will let us know if there isn't - it'll say low salt. But it says that when the electrolyte thingie needs the vinegar wash...

The cya is also low, so I will be adding that tonight, too.

But I am guessing by tomorrow I will be able to start working on the pH.

The water was GORGEOUS today! I had to get in! I think that true happiness is the sparkly clean pool water in the sunshine! (Makes it seem like we weren't in Kansas!)

c

Right on all counts. If the SWG is clean and still says low salt then add more. The SWG is like mama, if it's not happy nobody is happy.

ok, so the swg has been running but today it says low salt. I had backwashed a few times during the SLAM process, and we had one day where we forgot to turn the hose off, so we lost some water there. Today it says low salt and now I am reading through the intex saltwater system manual. It said, among other things, to add 20# salt...and then I guess I wait 24 hours to turn the swg back on? Then if it still reads low salt, then we must clean the electrolyte thingie.

My pH reading for the day was 7.6 and FC was 8.0.

Water still looks beautiful.
However, while the INSIDE of the pool looks wonderful, the outside looks like...well, let's just say that when you're in the pool it's like NOT being in Kansas, but when you look at the pool from the yard...well, it's back to reality! heh heh heh.
We've had so much rain that it's made the ground quite soft - and it's not helping the keep the pool level.

oh well...next year!
c

First of all I would like to thank this Troublefreepool.com for teaching me and encouraging me. My pool still looks so great I can't believe it!

Then I would like to give an update of the readings:
FC has been good - the lowest it got so far was yesterday afternoon: 3. But then the SWG kicks in and it goes up to 4.5 by morning.
pH starts out low after adding acid and then by morning, climbs to 7.6-7.8.
TA was 200 yesterday, but I added the m.a. and this morning it was 175. Still high. I am working on it.

My question is, will it ever stabilize - the pH - or will that only happen when the TA is under control? Will the TA ever stabilize?

So right now I am going to add some muriatic acid to lower pH to 7.0 and keep it aerating.

How does that sound?

c

Wonderful question about the PH and TA. They WILL find their sweet spot. It will take you playing with them to find what TA likes and what PH likes.

You are doing the right thing in adjusting the PH to bring the TA down. It will happen. It just takes time.

Kim

Because I know you are all DYING to know, I thought I'd check in and let you know how things are going.

The TA is FINALLY at 75.
I went over a week, I think, without adding any bleach because we had the SWG going regularly and I was testing twice a day. However, Sunday was a busy day and I didn't check levels in the morning and it was a HOT sunny day. I checked in the evening and there FC was ZERO! AAAACK!
So I added bleach and turned on the SWG and by morning it was 2. The water which was so crystal clear was clouding up! So I added more bleach (all according to the pool math) and boosted the SWG.
But by this morning it was back to crystal clear and FC around 5.
Now it's been raining since this afternoon and the FC is 4.5, pH is 7.4, and TA 75. I am running the SWG for the recommended 4 hours, and also aerating, to get the pH a little higher.

But as this summer goes on and the rain keeps the ground so soggy, one side of the pool is sort of sinking into the ground! Well, I guess you could say we have a deep end!
By the time I get this routine down, you know, it'll be time to take it all down!

Thanks again for all the help! I recommend this site to everyone!

c