Cavatation, Clogs and Crazy-making

Yup...I am going out right now to take it all apart and take a picture.

Now...I just called about getting a replacement, none of the local pool people have it. it will be a few days before a new one can be shippeand I have kids coming over Saturday to swim. So...can I glue the old one together with JB weld?

Well, this was certainly an interesting mystery ... glad we seem to have figured it out.

Now the question, why did it break? Is there damage to the diffuser housing that somehow bound up the impeller which then broke?

BeanTree said:

Now...I just called about getting a replacement, none of the local pool people have it. it will be a few days before a new one can be shippeand I have kids coming over Saturday to swim. So...can I glue the old one together with JB weld?

As I said before, I've done this with varying degrees of success. What do you have to lose?

jblizzle said:
Well, this was certainly an interesting mystery ... glad we seem to have figured it out.

Now the question, why did it break? Is there damage to the diffuser housing that somehow bound up the impeller which then broke?

It's possible, but sometimes they just break (they're two pieces glued together) :hammer:

BeanTree said:

2 thoughts:
* - If you can find it anywhere online, maybe you can have it sent next-day and get it by/on Saturday.
* - Glue it together and see what happens. You know how it's supposed to work and you know what happens when it doesn't work right. I'd try it!

Good luck.

the new one is about $50 and to have it shipped to be here by Saturday was $40. I have tons of JB weld, and my husband will be home in a week. If I can order it, pay cheap shipping and have him deal with it when he comes home in a week, I will do that. I am hoping that I can get by with some glue and do a happy dance and shock the heck out of the pool.

I say glue the old one and let it run for a couple hours and see if it works..
...if it works, order slow freight and DH can fix it.

If it won't pump, order it second day for Monday (or next day for Friday), add some bleach and stir it to hold you over until you get the new one in.

I don't think ordering tonight will make any difference on shipping time.

I glued it, and it still does not work. I am so sick of this dang thing. It spins freely. I am really thinking that it is not rotating properly in the diffuser plate. IS that possible? Or is it just that I have a damaged impeller that was glued and needs replacing?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yeah the motor spins with the impeller on it while it is detached from the plate on the back of the pump assembly.

It even sucked up water into the impeller which is more than what happened before. But when I tighten everything down, nothing happens. I really think the impeller is getting hung up somehow.

Ok the neighbor came over and looked at it. He says that he thinks there is too much play with the impeller and it is not attached well to the actual motor. It spins freely when not attached to the diffuser housing but if you touch the impeller while spinning, it stops moving. He used a rag and a pair of pliers to hold onto it while I turned it on and off.

So I need to replace the whole shabang. I need it before Saturday. Ugh!

So the shaft spins inside the impeller? Is the metal threaded hole in the impeller not connected anymore so it spins?

Hopefully all you need is an impeller then ... too bad you can not find one locally.

Be sure to match the HP rating with you pumps service factor HP (listed HP times the listed SF).

I've seen them where the spider in the impeller breaks loose and the impeller will still be attached to the shaft but it will spin on the shaft.
You still may be able to limp by. Since you've glued the halves back together, you may be able to glue the spider back enough for it to work a little.

If the spider is still captured, just force a little glue into the cavity and see if it'll get it to turn.

I overnighted the parts; impeller and a shaft seal kit. They should be here by 4:30 today. I have also watched a bunch of youtube videos and dumped 4.5 gals of bleach in the pool yesterday.

Any advice before I get started on this?

Ok, took the impeller and the shaft seals off in preparation for the new parts being delivered and discovered the big problem....

the impeller had broken ON the shaft seal that goes into the impeller. With any load, it would spin on the end of the shaft, plastic/resin against plastic/resin. Once a load was on the impeller it would just not spin at all. I had to use a lever and dpop it off because it would not unscrew, it would just spin on the seal. The cause of this problem I think was just OLD shaft seals. I am not sure this pool pump had EVER been serviced and this pump has been on this pool for at least 15 years if not longer. (I have lived here for the last 5). The shaft cup seal that goes on the shaft to keep the water out of the motor is in two parts it was completely broken.

My one bright light for the morning...the end of the shaft was not obscured by the capacitor. I was afraid I was going to have to learn how to short it to get to the shaft.

Anyway, my husband (who is an engineer on a boat) had better be mighty proud when he gets home. This is WAY above my pay grade! Thank God for internet forums and experienced people to guide me.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.