Cause for concern?

mx702

Aug 2, 2010
MA
Liner and water went in Wed. night (9/22), but my pump/SWG will not be hooked up electrically untill some time next week. Is this enough time to promote algae growth? Should I be dumping in jugs of bleach?

Pool is size 18 x 38 w/ 8ft deep end. I live in MA.

I had the same problem when I started my pool this summer. I was out of circulation for a little more than a week and all I did was to pour in granulated chlorine powder that I dissolved in buckets before I poured it in. I brushed my walls immediately after to create a swirl in the water, but it worked just fine, no algae occured.

WOW! Speedy replies here...love this board!!

gordiec - I will try and get my pool temp when I get home later this evening. Unfortunately for me it has been rather sunny and unseasonably warm around here latley with temps in the 80s.

Henry Porter - Perhaps I should use the same tactic, but use liquid bleach instead?

Well, you do have your test kit already right? if not get your order in.
pool-school/pool_test_kit_comparison

If you do then what is your chlorine reading now?
If there is none then I would pour some bleach in for sure.
Use the brush to stir if your pump isn't functional yet.
I would just slowly pour while walking around the pool if you have no pump. Then stir up with brush.
Pour in front of the deep end return if it is.

I suggest get 3-4 big jugs of bleach, uncap, and ever so carefully place on the bottom of the pool, open end up. The chlorine will diffuse out slowly and maintain a level in the pool. Sweep once a day to keep it stirred up. If it starts looking green or yellow, dump a few bottles straight in. This should keep the water chemistry & algae growth from getting away till the SWG & pump is hooked up.

If you've not already, and as the previous poster said... Read Pool School & order a nice test kit! Invaluable investment of time & a few dollars.

Congrats on the pool! post pics when done. Or now ;)

No, I do not have a test kit. I fully understand the importance of having a good one because of how often it is stressed here. The plan was for the PB to finish the pool, then close it so I held off on ordering one because I figured the reagents have a shelf life and I wouldn't be using it for another 8 months. Bad call.

The pool water was trucked in and I am pretty sure the FC = 0. Would 3 or 4 jugs be enough to keep the greenies at bay? This is where the test kit comes in, right? I don't even have a brush yet...

mx702 said:
Henry Porter - Perhaps I should use the same tactic, but use liquid bleach instead?

worked perfectly fine for me :goodjob: And this was in the middle of our summer so it was quite hot at the time aswell.
Don't forget to brush the walls that will help to dilute the chlorine in the pool.

Do you have a wall whale brush mx 702? If not, get one. I got mine today and it was a brease to brush the walls around the pool using that one. Top score from me. Best thing I've bought for the pools maintenance so far.....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.