Cartridge filters on Amazon

Oct 3, 2013
I replaced my filters three years ago and it's time again. Bought the last ones on Amazon at less than half the price of my contractor or the local pool store and they worked great. But the ones I ordered are no longer available after a history search.

Are they pretty much all the same, assuming they fit what I need or is one brand better than the other? All seem to be $160-200 for a pack of four.

Are they falling apart ? Sooooooooo many people buy carts just because they think they need them, when they could have gotten 10 years out of them.

If they're falling apart after 3 years then the brand you chose doesn't hold up like OEM.

Reactions: Dirk
I've purchased one replacement set, a little after I purchased the home and pool. The pool was probably about 7-8 years old at that point. And it's been 8-9 years since I replaced them. And they were in good shape the last time I looked at them. So that's an average, at least, of a set every eight years.

I expect the first set wore out sooner than this second set will, because they were cleaned often by the since-fired pool guy. They would wash them four times a year, because it was an easy $150 for them. I wash them once a year at best, this will be the second time I skipped a year (my pool is very clean), so sometimes every other year. I expect at least 10 years out of this second set (to corroborate what @Newdude advises). Maybe more. Mine are OEM.

I'm not suggesting a cleaning schedule to you. You clean them as needed. I'm just saying it is the cleaning that wears them out more than anything else. Clean them only when they get really dirty. The less you do, the longer they'll last. And don't use a pressure washer or harsh chemicals. That too can wear them out prematurely. Just a hose with a nozzle is all I use.

Are they falling apart ? Sooooooooo many people buy carts just because they think they need them, when they could have gotten 10 years out of them.

If they're falling apart after 3 years then the brand you chose doesn't hold up like OEM.
Not falling apart, but definitely fraying and needing replacement. We've had the pool 10 years this summer and I replaced the originals about 5 years ago. Trust me, I clean them 3-4x a year and get all I can out of them. These held up the same as the OEM, just not available anymore, hence my question.

I've purchased one replacement set, a little after I purchased the home and pool. The pool was probably about 7-8 years old at that point. And it's been 8-9 years since I replaced them. And they were in good shape the last time I looked at them. So that's an average, at least, of a set every eight years.

I expect the first set wore out sooner than this second set will, because they were cleaned often by the since-fired pool guy. They would wash them four times a year, because it was an easy $150 for them. I wash them once a year at best, this will be the second time I skipped a year (my pool is very clean), so sometimes every other year. I expect at least 10 years out of this second set (to corroborate what @Newdude advises). Maybe more. Mine are OEM.

I'm not suggesting a cleaning schedule to you. You clean them as needed. I'm just saying it is the cleaning that wears them out more than anything else. Clean them only when they get really dirty. The less you do, the longer they'll last.
Makes total sense and my pool is clean too. However we live in a wooded area and get lots of pollen and other things from the trees which requires cleaning the filters more than your normal pool, 3-4x a year. I think getting five years or so out of a set isn't bad given the circumstances.

Reactions: Dirk
Not falling apart, but definitely fraying and needing replacement
Fraying is falling apart IMO, so you're not just buying them to buy them. (y)

Hang tight, many here use the 4 cartridge style and even being the slow season, you should get some brand recs.

Makes total sense and my pool is clean too. However we live in a wooded area and get lots of pollen and other things from the trees which requires cleaning the filters more than your normal pool, 3-4x a year. I think getting five years or so out of a set isn't bad given the circumstances.
Unicel are the best if still available.They make them for several manufacturers and they put their name on them for the manufacturers. Pleatco and Filbert are other good brands,and Pentair just purchased Pleatco last year.

The flip side is that in various YT videos comparing brands, the lower-priced off-names are definitely made with less robust materials and/or shoddy workmanship. Replaced mine with Pleatco a couple years ago. They still look brand new after a good cleaning. We also have many large trees surrounding the pool. The old ones looked fine, but would clog every couple of months. I tried an enzymatic cleaner to little effect but did not try acid as recommended in some cases. Soaking cartridges is a painful chore even without acid in the mix. The new ones go 8-9 months between cleanings.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I replaced my filters three years ago and it's time again. Bought the last ones on Amazon at less than half the price of my contractor or the local pool store and they worked great. But the ones I ordered are no longer available after a history search.

Are they pretty much all the same, assuming they fit what I need or is one brand better than the other? All seem to be $160-200 for a pack of four.
What is the manufacturer name and model number of your cartridge filter?

Not all of them are the same. I have purchased 3 different brands and the third time was a charm. Pure Pool or Pool Pure brand filters had the closest filter media to OEM Hayward filters. The other 2 were way too thick and clogged up so fast.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.