Cartridge Filter Leaks with Pump on High

tnt69

May 27, 2016
Chester, IL
I put in a new pump last year after 9 years of use. The pump is a Waterway Hi Flo 1.5 Hp 2 speed pump, basically the same pump I had before, although it seems to be a little stronger than it's predecessor. The pool is a 21' X 43' X 54" AG with a Millennium Cartridge Filter System from Waterway and I have never had a leak problem before but after a few months with the new pump and after cleaning the filter about 3-5 times, it developed a leak in the filter around the ring that connects the top and bottom of the filter, especially right at the spot where the snaps end up. It is a steady leak, sometimes nearly a stream coming from 2-3 spots that leaves a puddle after a short time. If I flip the pump down to low speed, it stops, but low speed doesn't do a good enough job of cleaning the pool. There are times, after cleaning the filter, that it will not leak for several days. But if I turn it off for any reason, nearly 100% of the time, the leak will start and will continue until the next time I clean it. I always lube the large O-ring around the filter after cleaning and even bought a second O-ring and I get the same result. Presently, the pump is running 19 PSI on High and 5 PSI on Low. Is there anyway that I can stop this leak? I really need to run the pump on the high setting.

Is that cartridge filter the same age as the previous pump (about 9 years)? I can't seem to find a good illustration for that filter, can you post a pic please so we can see what type of center band clamp is used to connect the top and bottom portions together? It may just be an age issue, but perhaps we'll see something in a pic that may help.

Here is a picture of the owners manual and an actual picture showing the leaks if you can zoom in. The leaks are all around the black ring in the middle connecting the two halves. The biggest leaks are where the bottom half has gaps in the plastic and the O-ring is suppose to take care of it but it is failing.

Attachments

• afilter.jpg
    afilter.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 18
  • FILTER.jpg
    FILTER.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 18
Are the gaps in the plastic you mention by design? Or are there chips on the bottom plastic surface?

The gaps are by design, not sure why, but I see them on all similar filters. The filter is new and 1 is in it's 2nd year. I buy 1 new one every year and use both the new and last years in rotation and then replace the older each year.

does your filter have a metal band around it? On my Pentair you have to have the nut at a point where the spring is bottomed out..

Nevermind, I found your manual... https://www.waterwayplastics.com/manuals/810-0183-N.0308.pdf

It just spins and locks... Have you cleaned both sides and cleaned and lubed the O ring?

Other than that I have no idea...

I clean and lube the O-ring every time I clean the filter. Sometimes, after cleaning the filter, it will not leak for a period of days. But after the first time I turn it off for a while or change speed to low for a bit, it begins to leak. Many times, right from the start after cleaning, it still leaks.

I hate to say it but it sounds like it is shot... They are a cheap filter and pump for a reason, so you have to replace it again and again... I think you have 2 options...

1. replace the top part of your filter and hope that fixes the problem..
2. Replace the filter with a good one...

I have the Pentair clean and clear plus 320 and love it, it has not leaked one bit or had any problems in 5 years ( I did replace the pressure gauge)... I think with 30k gallons you would want the 420 or 520 C and C filter.. With my 15k gallons I clean my 320 once a year.. You may be able to get a 320 and only clean it a couple times a year depending on what your pool collects...

not cheap... Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Cartridge Filter | 320 Sq. Ft. | 160340

If you go with a big huge sand filter they are cheaper but use water to backwash....

Just a correction on the HP of my pump. It is a 2HP 2 speed pump instead of a 1.5 HP. The original pump was also 2HP so replaced with same size but again, seems a little more powerful than the original.
I am checking to replace the top "lid" of the filter if possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.