Cartridge Filter Advice

Jan 5, 2017
sydney, au
Hi, after spending so many hours and money trying to filter out super fine dust, I've given up on my sand filter. Tried it all and got nowhere.

Will a cartridge filter filter out this fine dust?

Is fine dust ever an issue with cartridge filters?

Thankyou

Is fine dust ever an issue with cartridge filters?
That's a tough question to answer without a bit more info. What you say is dust "might" actually be something else. Can you explain why you think it's dust? Construction, sandy/desert location, landscaping, etc? Does this dust you are referring to sit on the surface, or is it throughout the water? Can you explain what you have done previously ("many hours and money") to remove this fine dust?

To rule-out potential chemistry issues, can you post a full set of test results? That might help as well. Last, it would help tremendously to know more about your pool and equipment. Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info, much like you see mine below. With a bit more info we should be able to get you in the right direction.

Hi guys, it's fine dirt that goes through the filter. It's on the pool floor. It's not algae. My water is perfect, crystal clear no cloudiness, perfect. I do check it at a pool store, and they are actually really good (I know, hard to believe). They've told me it that it's dust and that a few customers are having same problem. I've gone ahead and shocked it properly, more than once. I've vacuumed it to waste. I've changed the sand filter and sand. I've recently added Aquaperl filter aid. I've used a special tropical algaecide in hopes that would fix it. It's not the laterals.

Sounds like a nascent algae bloom. The fact that you are going to the pool store for testing/advice and that they have several customers all with the same problem is pretty telling that this is the case. It's not the filter.

+1 what Donldson said. Thousands and thousands of sand filters produce perfectly clear water every day in thousands of pools. Unless your filter is damaged internally, I really doubt the filter is your problem.

Please read "The "ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. I hope you will get interested in what we teach.....it'll get your pool crystal clear with your existing filter.

+2 on other responses above

I believe you answered your own question when you stated you used an algaecide to clean-up alleged sand or dust.

As stated, but a good pool testing kit and post these:

FC
pH
CH
TA
CYA
Also post all of your equipment and pool info too

Once we have these, we can do an OCLT and get to the bottom of the problem

Finally, no matter what type of filtering system you have, if you have algae, your filter isn't going to work properly - good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.