Can't see difference between 7.8 and 7.6 PH

randys

Gold Supporter
Oct 28, 2018
Clayton, NC
I'm wondering if there is a drop test I can just simply count rather than compare colors for PH. I'm having a difficult time determining where the results fall. I suppose the issue is that it's somewhere between 7.6 and 7.8.

As a further test, I added one drop of acid demand and it seemed to drop to a very clear 7.4, but I could swear it wasn't a very clear 7.6 to start with.

I'm using the Taylor PH test for this one. At this moment I was testing, my results were:
FC 2.5
TA 80
CYA ~30 (probably slightly lower)
PH Suspected between 7.6 and 7.8
No salt yet.

We just finished two and a half days of non-stop rain and I was checking levels, only ended up adding 30oz of 12% liquid chlorine after my tests. Water is crystal clear.

That is the same pH range that drives me nuts. :crazy: No drop test that I'm aware of, only some digital testers. TFTestkits.net has one inexpensive digital meter you could try if you thought it may help you gain some confidence and consistency with the pH. In the grand scheme of things, as long as the pH is managed to not exceed 7.8, you should be fine. The slight changes between 7.6-7.8 should not be overwhelming to your pool or water. Lastly, some folks claim that trying to read the pH at 4 drops (first) helps to gain a better perspective on the color hues.

So put 4 drops and invert... then add the last drop later?
Basically yes. Compare the colors at 4 drops, then add the 5th right afterwards and compare again. Some folks seem to find it helpful distinguishing the color changes. Sometimes it helps me, other times not as much. Maybe Santa will get me a pH meter for my stocking. :)

I just use four drops, not the fifth. Works fine. Full disclosure: Taylor tech support, with whom I discussed this, did not agree. They say five means five. But when I use five, I never get a match, in any range, so four it is...

I do my testing indoors, under an LED, under-counter light strip. It's 100% repeatable, and not subject to time of day, or clouds or anything else. I hold the comparator in one hand and a white card in the other. I move the white card around, behind the comparator, until I get just the right light reflecting through the comparator.

I can now read values in between the color swatches, so while I have only 0.2 increments, like 7.6 and 7.8, I can see 7.7.

I don't actually try to match colors. It's more a process of elimination. I'll look at a swatch, and then the sample, and determine if the sample looks more orange, or more magenta than the swatch. Depending on the answer, I'll move to the next swatch and do the same. When I can't say that it's either, then that's my result. If it looks more
orange than one swatch, but more magenta than the next, so no direct match, I'll call that in between. Hard to explain, exactly, but try the "more/less magenta" or "more/less orange" tip, and it'll make more sense.

If I am in doubt and my wife is around I ask her, she usually has no doubts about it.
It makes sense as I have read somewhere that women are able to identify more variety of colors, specially in the reds.

This is how one website explains it:

The gene that allows us to see red lies on the X chromosome. Because women have two X chromosomes, the extra X gives them more color variation in the red-orange spectrum. Men only have one X chromosome, so where women can see crimson, maroon, cardinal, ruby, and scarlet, men might only be able to see light, medium, and dark red.

Many men have trouble seeing reds...

This is how one website explains it:

Many men have trouble seeing reds...

I read time ago that it is related to the evolution in the sense that women used to harvest the berries and it was important to recognize the maturation point through the color. Meanwhile men were laying or hunting...

...anyway based in my observation I can attest that my wife see the red color better than me... maybe it is only anecdotal evidence...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think that there are some phone apps that can identify colors.

If you can isolate the different colors of the comparator, you might be able to take a picture of the test sample and then compare it by what color the app identifies.

Maybe someone can develop a pH reader app that reads the pH from the camera.

My approach, right or wrong, is I add one drop of R-0005, it seems to reflect a .4 drop. Easier to see then what level is and add .4. So if I can't tell if it's 7.8 or 8.0, just one drop of R-0005 and then I can see if it's then 7.4 or 7.6. I'm sure someone will say it's not totally accurate way to test, but seems close enough for me.

I also use bright white screen on my phone :) as background for day time
In the evening laptop screen white background is very nice.
I do agree with 4 drops, Much easier.

Also mostly I do make sure via acid test. I'm good or no_One time dig and get 7.8 and one drop...i memorize this color :)
Also there is one digital tester, I use for soil test, mixing chemical for lawn. Around 40$ but good, if you want I can share the link

My approach, right or wrong, is I add one drop of R-0005, it seems to reflect a .4 drop. Easier to see then what level is and add .4. So if I can't tell if it's 7.8 or 8.0, just one drop of R-0005 and then I can see if it's then 7.4 or 7.6. I'm sure someone will say it's not totally accurate way to test, but seems close enough for me.

This is what I have been doing. I just got a digital meter and calibrated it to .01 accuracy. I was correct to think it was between 7.6 and 7.8, it was about 7.73 :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.