Can't lower TA

Jetjohn6

Sep 22, 2019
Las Vegas
Hi folks. Could use a little guidance here. When I took ownership of my pool a month ago ph was high. I've lowered it with acid within acceptable range. It does seem to want to climb back up. TA is high at about 125. I've been adding quite a bit of acid but it doesn't seem to want to go down. Hopefully my additions are visible in logs. Any words of advice?

If your fill water has a high TA and you are having to fill to fight evaporation in the desert it may be challenging or impossible to lower very much. Otherwise, I’d keep trying and if you can get 31.5% MA it would be a bit easier. Also drop to pH 7.2 and aerate and keep bombing with acid when you get to 7.8.

John,

Lowering TA is a process.. For me it takes a couple of days of continuous testing and dosing..

Basically I test the TA and pH levels and note what they are.. I turn on my waterfall to generate aeration and leave it on. I then add the necessary acid to drop the pH to about 7.0, then wait about 3 or 4 hours and test pH and TA and add acid to drop the pH to about 7.0.. I just keep doing this over and over... At first the TA does not drop too much, but as time goes on, the drop will get larger and larger.. I do this from early morning until it is time to go to bed, I then pick it up again the next morning.. I never shut off the aeration until the TA is where I want it.. I always drop the TA about 10 points below where I actually want it.. So if I want to have a TA of 60, I'll drop it to 50 because it will bounce back 10 points in just a day or so..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ckendalls
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.