Can't hold TC or FC with a SWG?

Sorry if I sound completely ignorant, but if the water is clear, and we have chlorine in the pool whether from the SWG or adding liquid chlorine, will I still need to SLAM the pool?

Thank you very much for all your comments, I appreciate the advice. I am bummed I bought this kit for $60, and turns out I need the $85 dollar one. :(

Looks great. You said green stuff. Do the OCLT. Only two things consume chlorine. The sun, and organics. So if you have FC loss over night, you have organics. That is algae.

Reactions: wireform
So, didn't lose much FC overnight, but did lose a little, and CC is at zero? I am seeing some slightly green stuff on the skimmer sock and in the vacuum, so looks like I need to SLAM this pool when we get the test kit and can live without being in the pool for a while, right? No chance of killing what lives in there now with keeping the chlorine constant now that I have a proper test kit?

Sounds like a SLAM. Do another OCLT when you get your FAS-DPD kit.

You can use the pool during a SLAM. As long as you can see the bottom of the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CC and out of range pH causes the eye and skin irritation.

If you plan to swim, just let the FC ride a few points below SLAM level. Will not stop the SLAM, just slow it down a little. Raise the FC back when you are done for the day. Your SLAM should go quick if you keep chlorine in the pool now and get the kit soon.

Green hair is caused by copper. Has nothing to do with chlorine.

@mknauss Interesting! Looks like my kit was shipped today, so hopefully I will see it in a few days and will start the process. In the meantime, I am running the SWG for 7 hours now and will retest my chlorine later today to make sure it stays in the 5ppm range. Is that where I should keep it until I can start the SLAM?

Sure. That is fine. Brush the areas you found some algae and any other hiding areas. Ladder, stairs, etc.

Just thought I would update my thread with a photo of the water. I've been running the fter 24/7 for the last 48 hours and running the SWH 7-8 hours a day, but I have added liquid chlorine to being the ppm up to 5 for now. I am getting much less green tinge on the skimmer and vacuum socks, but I'm still anticipating SLAMING the pool when my kit arrives.

Attachments

• 20200717_124444.jpg
    20200717_124444.jpg
    793.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: mknauss
You may be stressing/overthinking things. (I do the same thing). Your water looks great, you have very little to no CC on most of your tests and a very small amount of overnight loss. My advice - not worth all that much by comparison to the experts but - keep your ph and ta in range, chlorine level at whatever your cya requires (if that requires a little supplemental addition, so be it) - and go swimming and enjoy your beautiful pool!

I am preparing to start my SLAM today when my test kit arrives (it is out for delivery). My CYA is at 50. Should I be trying to raise this to 75 before I start, or is it fine? I am a little unsure what my value should be when balanced. On the text kit instructions, it says 30-50 but I have also seen that SWG's should have a higher value of about 70-80? Is this true? @mknauss

Leave your CYA as is. When following the SLAM Process, the pool is not using the SWCG so you follow the non-SWCG chart, FC/CYA Levels

Once you complete the SLAM, pass all three criteria, then raising the CYA to 70 ppm would be a good idea.

@mknauss Thank you for all your advice. I just tested with my FAS/DPD test kit. FC is at 4.5 and CC is barely at .5. So I am preparing to dose my pool to 20ppm per the Non SWG chart with a CYA of 50. Should I wait until the sun is completely off my pool to dose it, and how slowly should I add the LC?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.