Can't get up to SLAMing level even though pool is crystal clear

CarlyMorgan

Jun 4, 2022
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi! Brand new pool owner here. Pool was opened a few days ago and the water was fairly clear. Its 18000 gal. I spent the past few days adjusting the pH (7.2), CYA (40ppm), and having my dolphin clean the pool (other chemical levels were ok). The pool is sparkling.

I started the SLAM process yesterday since my pool had no chlorine. Based off of the TFP app calculator, I only needed about 3-4 jugs of bleach to get up to the SLAM level (16ppm). I have been through 15 bottles of bleach in a day and a half.

Three 121oz bottles of 7.5%
Six 128oz bottles of 10%
Six 81oz bottles of 7.5%

I have only gotten the pool to 13ppm, the next time I checked it was 8ppm. I keep running to different stores to buy more bleach. I feel like I can't keep this up. I am running out of reagents and have to stop until more come. Am I doing something wrong?

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Even though the water may appear clear, the chemistry could tell a different story. However we need to know some things:
1 - What test kit are you using?
2 - Can you describe how you are doing the FC test?

Remember that in the early portion of the SLAM the FC can fall rapidly. It's critical to adjust your testing pattern as such to keep-up with the FC drops if possible. Eventually the FC readings should level out and become more stable.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Even though the water may appear clear, the chemistry could tell a different story. However we need to know some things:
1 - What test kit are you using?
2 - Can you describe how you are doing the FC test?

Remember that in the early portion of the SLAM the FC can fall rapidly. It's critical to adjust your testing pattern as such to keep-up with the FC drops if possible. Eventually the FC readings should level out and become more stable.
I am using Taylor K2006. I put one scoop of the R-0870 in with 10mL of water, shake until dissolved, add R-0871 dropwise until pink becomes colorless. Multiply amount of drops by 0.5. Then continue the rest of the test for CC.

Assuming test results are accurate, something is consuming your chlorine. Make sure your test reagents are not expired. Your chlorine could also be old, which would weaken it. There are dates on the jugs. Regardless, if you’re dropping from 13 to 8 in a short period, you probably have algae, especially since pool had no chlorine as of a day or 2 ago. Even in the Texas sun, with CYA of 40, you wouldn’t go through that much chlorine in that short of a period without a contaminate in the water.

Get enough chlorine to get your pool to SLAM level 2x or more and test soon after adding it to make sure you actually achieved SLAM level. Test again once the sun is down and at least 30 minutes since you last added chlorine. Run pump all night then test again before direct sunlight hits your pool. If free chlorine goes down by 1 or more, you have algae or something else consuming the chlorine.

Good luck! You’ll get it under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.