Can't get screw out on underwater light fixture to replace bulb.

Jan 31, 2017
Naples FL
I need to change the bulb on my light, however the screw holding the enclosure in, feels like its just going to chew up. I'm only a DIY person. What are my options? are there any tricks i've not thought about? Or do i have to drain 4 ft of water out of it, and go at it with special tools.

Normally i'd use a grip paste, and if still no joy, then a speed out / drill / extractor, but all this being 2 ft below water doesn't leave me many options.

How common is it that the screw that hold these enclosure in stuck ? Perhaps there's a trick or two some may care to share. Here's a pic of the said screw.

Annotation 2019-02-16 232158.jpg

This might be an option, but you have to weigh all the risks rewards.

An impact drill has a way of extracting out screws and if it is striped, w a hex head. You could get a small (cordless) impact drill, put it into a large 1 gallon zip lock w all the air removed. use an extension on the drill w a hex bit. All you need is enough torque to get it started. use the bit/extension to make the exit hole...you could use some silicone around the hole to minimize any water seepage, but if it's ziplocked tight and all air removed, you should not see too much water enter. you could also fold a paper towel around the inside of the drill shaft to take on any immediate water...otherwise, you can drain 4 ft and give it a try that way...

Last edited:
What i have done before, and it isnt fun, is, if you can get a hacksaw blade in there, between the light and the pool wall cut the set screw. You need a little room to get the blade in there. When you get the light out, you can then grab the screw with some channel locks to remove it.

If the light is recessed or flush with the wall, you may have to drain the pool down a bit to get at it with power tools. Not sure even i would try the bucket trick with the pool full. But that's just me, i'm selfish, and i want to ride tomorrow.

Hey guys thanks for all your responses. Got it out, using my JIS driver and some Drive Grip. It stayed on the head of my JIS long enough even submerged. I gave it a tighten then loosen, and got the sucker !! Very happy. Back in business and very happy to not have to dip into a cold pool.

IMG_0954.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.