Dallas, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I completely cleaned out my SWG from calcium build up - it was pretty bad, but now is spotless. It’s been clean for a couple weeks now.

I’ve balanced my pool and lowered pH. Just last night I got the ph down to 7.2. Do I just need to give it more time and try to keep the ph at that level and things should clear up, or is there another component somewhere that I should clean?

20k gal salt pool
PH 7.2
Cya 70 (I have dry stabilizer in a sleeve now to raise this)
CH 480
TA 100
FC 4 (added a smidge of dichlor to pop this up a little)

Attachments

• FBB2EC17-6F52-47E1-AAA9-D8DE456B7CE4.jpeg
    FBB2EC17-6F52-47E1-AAA9-D8DE456B7CE4.jpeg
    542.2 KB · Views: 27
If you CYA is already 70, there is no reason to raise it higher. Remove the 'sleeve' with the granular stabilizer now.

Are you using PoolMath and tracking CSI?

Share your PoolMath logs - there's a setting in the app.

Keep your CSI between 0.00 and -0.30 to minimize scaling in the salt cell.

In your picture, are you referring to the white spots/deposits? Are you sure they are calcium? Can you scrape a small piece off? If so, put that piece in a plastic bowl and add a drop of acid to it to see if it fizzes. Fizzing indicates calcium. If it's calcium deposits, it may take some extra work to remove them.

Yes I’m using Pool Math, but I don’t know what tracking CSI means. I only see FC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, and Salt. I haven’t been keeping logs, but I can start.

Regarding CYA, my target is 70-80. 70 is on the low end of ideal. And with the amount of sun I get, what’s the harm in pushing it to the high end of ideal?

On the picture, yes it’s calcium yes it fizzes. What does “extra work” entail? That’s what I’m trying to find out. To add more clarity, those pieces are loose and appear to come out of jet. I use a fine mesh net to clean them out but they keep appearing.

In Poolmath, select the Gear Icon, upper right.
Select Track CSI

Your TA is high.

How did you test your CH level?

OK -- the water fall has no effect on TA. Adding acid does when lowering the pH. But I suspect your fill water has high TA. So you are adding TA when you add fill water.

With a CH result of 480 ppm, you use a 25 ml sample, and did 48 drops of R0012 to blue, correct?

I suggest using a 10 ml water sample for CH testing. 10 drops R0010, 5 drops R0011L, and then each drop of R0012 is 25 ppm.

OK -- the water fall has no effect on TA. Adding acid does when lowering the pH. But I suspect your fill water has high TA. So you are adding TA when you add fill water.
With a CH result of 480 ppm, you use a 25 ml sample, and did 48 drops of R0012 to blue, correct?

I suggest using a 10 ml water sample for CH testing. 10 drops R0010, 5 drops R0011L, and then each drop of R0012 is 25 ppm.
ah yah, I got confused with Ph aeration. I did add a little bit of fill water today.

That was the method I used for CH, yes. I’ll use the smaller 10ml sample next time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to add acid more often for awhile to get your TA down to 70 or so. Then a pH of 7.8 will not be as much of an issue.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.