Can't get rid of Cloudy Water

Jun 17, 2015
Cashmere/WA
Been doing this for awhile, so not a newbie, but I'm struggling this year!!

• Slammed 4 days ago, got FC up to 18, almost instantly turned from green to cloudy grey/blue in a few hours.
  • Day 1 FC 18
  • Day 2 FC was 17,
  • Day 3 FC was 16,
  • Day 4 FC was 9,
  • and today day 5 FC is 7 (added a couple inches of water on day 4).
  • Pump has been running 24/7 and I've backwashed once per day.
  • I'm thinking the slam worked PH was high on day 3 so I brought it down to 7.4

Not sure why it is still cloudy?

FC 7
CC .5
PH 7.4
TA 180
CA 220
CYA 28
56 degrees

I'm sure others will comment but from what I've seen if the water is not clear your slam is not over. You didn't mention the OCLT either. Also how did you get 28 CYA what are you testing with?

3 SLAM criteria...

• CC is 0.5 or lower;
  • You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
  • And the water is clear.

I have the recommended test kit and it was just under the 30 line for CYA. Also dropped from 18 to 17 with my OCLT.

CYA is measured in whole 10's. The vial is not linear so best to round up. So your CYA is 30.

Let your FC drift down to 12 (shock level for CYA of 30) and then do another OCLT once your pool water is clear. Really clear. You should be able to see your drain covers in the deep end in detail.

Take care.

If you passed the OCLT and the water is still cloudy, you could maintain a SLAM level of FC for a day or so to see if the cloudiness clears up.

If your CYA is reading just below the 30 line it is difficult to ascertain a definitive reading so you could consider adding 10 CYA then take another reading.

There's almost never a reason to lower FC so people can swim. People can swim up to Shock Level for your level of CYA. And for right now, you report your water is 56 degrees which no one wants to swim in, so you've got plenty of time for your FC to come down naturally.

I will give it a try tonight with another OCLT.

As MK said, no need to do another OCLT until he water is clear. If it isn’t clear the OCLT doesn’t matter.

The requirements to pass are x AND x AND x. So cloudy water is a strike one. Keep SLAMming.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Been doing this for awhile, so not a newbie, but I'm struggling this year!!

• Slammed 4 days ago, got FC up to 18, almost instantly turned from green to cloudy grey/blue in a few hours.
  • Day 1 FC 18
  • Day 2 FC was 17,
  • Day 3 FC was 16,
  • Day 4 FC was 9,
  • and today day 5 FC is 7 (added a couple inches of water on day 4).
  • Pump has been running 24/7 and I've backwashed once per day.
  • I'm thinking the slam worked PH was high on day 3 so I brought it down to 7.4

Not sure why it is still cloudy?

FC 7
CC .5
PH 7.4
TA 180
CA 220
CYA 28
56 degrees

On day 4, when you measured your FC at 9ppm, did you raise it back to SLAM level (FC 12ppm for a CYA of 30ppm), or did you just let it continue to fall to day 5’s reading of 7ppm?

A SLAM is not a one time event.... a SLAM is Maintained until you pass all three criteria to end the SLAM.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.