Can’t get rid of algae

EEEE

Jun 7, 2022
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hi, I am new to pool maintenance. Waiting On test kit to arrive. However, despite putting tons of chlorine in pool the algae will not die and free chlorine is 0. Any thoughts on what I’m doing wrong?? The circulation system works.

Attachments

• 76B49F94-7BF2-4DAA-B052-BB5BF9AEBD52.jpeg
    76B49F94-7BF2-4DAA-B052-BB5BF9AEBD52.jpeg
    558.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 4220B7B5-2356-499C-9F95-6F41EA427C24.jpeg
    4220B7B5-2356-499C-9F95-6F41EA427C24.jpeg
    654.5 KB · Views: 40
First off welcome! :wave:

Without the test results its hard to say what is wrong. While waiting for the test kit add 5ppm of chlorine each day to keep from getting much worse.

Your helper has the right idea with the net/vac. See what you can get up from the bottom. Less organics in the pool will help once you get your test kit.

Once you get your kit post full set of results and we will help you out with next steps.

Also if you haven't read up on the following take a look now so you can hit the ground running when you get the test kit.
SLAM Process
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

It's very possible that the FC is 0 and you have ammonia in the pool eating it all up.

It's also possible that your method of testing for FC without the recommended kit is inaccurate and you have FC in the pool, but the test isn't showing.

As mentioned above just add 5ppm of FC via liquid chlorine daily and when you get your test kit, run a full test suite. We'll see what the results are and help from there!

Can you also please fill out your signature?

You can see mine for reference. If you're on a mobile device, turn it sideways to make it show. :)

First off welcome! :wave:

Without the test results its hard to say what is wrong. While waiting for the test kit add 5ppm of chlorine each day to keep from getting much worse.

Your helper has the right idea with the net/vac. See what you can get up from the bottom. Less organics in the pool will help once you get your test kit.

Once you get your kit post full set of results and we will help you out with next steps.

Also if you haven't read up on the following take a look now so you can hit the ground running when you get the test kit.
SLAM Process
ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you!

Received my test kit! Starting to feel like there is hope… here’s where we’re at:

pH=7.2
FC=1ppm
CC=1.5ppm
CH=575
TA=150
CYA=22

Any thoughts on where to go from here (especially order of adding chemicals/tips on best practices of doing so) would be GREATLY appreciated, by both me and my twin 5yos who desperately want to swim :)

Thanks in advance!
Emily

Great job! Emily getting one of the recommended test kits. You are going to have find and purchase liquid chlorine and lots of it. Walmart sells 10% Pool Essentials. Other big box stores sell 10% too. I would start with buying 10 gallons to start.

Did you download and install the PoolMath app on your smart phone? It helps with the dosing quantities. It does the math for you so you’ll know how much to add.

Completing your signature would help others help you. For example what type of filter do you have? If you have variable speed pump, etc.

Welcome, ask questions when you have them and let’s get started clearing that pool.

Received my test kit! Starting to feel like there is hope… here’s where we’re at:

pH=7.2
FC=1ppm
CC=1.5ppm
CH=575
TA=150
CYA=22

Any thoughts on where to go from here (especially order of adding chemicals/tips on best practices of doing so) would be GREATLY appreciated, by both me and my twin 5yos who desperately want to swim :)

Thanks in advance!
Emily
pH is right where you need it for the slam

CYA is logarithmic so you can't read in between the lines. Round the 22 up to 30 and get your FC level up to 12 (based on FC/CYA Levels). Poolmath mentioned above is the easiest way to calculate how much liquid chlorine is needed

You are now ready to start the SLAM Process

That pool is pretty green. The SLAM will work, but if water is cheap I would consider a partial drain. Might save you some money on chlorine and it would be faster.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for asking! We got rid of the green, but it continues to be cloudy. I posted a separate thread about how I added the recommended amount of stabilizer in the recommended method, but it seems like it didn’t dissolve. There is fine, super find white dust in the water, And when I vacuum it gets picked up from the bottom of the pool, and when I just backwashed it came out all over the sidewalk. Then I just tested my CYA and it’s at affectively zero. So confused, and running out of money buying so much liquid chlorine I can’t keep up! :(

Thanks for asking! We got rid of the green, but it continues to be cloudy. I posted a separate thread about how I added the recommended amount of stabilizer in the recommended method, but it seems like it didn’t dissolve. There is fine, super find white dust in the water, And when I vacuum it gets picked up from the bottom of the pool, and when I just backwashed it came out all over the sidewalk. Then I just tested my CYA and it’s at affectively zero. So confused, and running out of money buying so much liquid chlorine I can’t keep up! :(
Hmm not really sure about the white powder hopefully someone else will help you get to an answer there.

Sand filters are the slowest to clear unfortunately but hopefully it will clear up soon.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.