Can't get pressure back on pump

Jun 18, 2018
Lake Almanor, CA
I changed my filters today because of all the ash from the wildfires. After I put everything back together, the pump pressure remained at zero. I made sure the O-Ring was in place and well lubricated and tried again. No pressure. It reads zero and the arrow did not even bounce. I tried putting a hose in the skimmer basket and pushing water through the system, thinking I'd lost my prime...but that made no difference. I'm seeing little bubbles come out but I usually see a nice flow. Water seems to be sucking in through the skimmer basket because I'm seeing movement of water up at the pump.

Thoughts?

I assume you mean you have 0 pressure on the filter housing. But you have water flow at the pump and I would assume at your returns. Are you using your normal pump rate? Your signature does not show what pump you have.

Be sure to bleed the air off the top of the filter housing. There should be an air bleed that you open with the pump running and when water comes out you close it.

I have a Hayward 3020 Cartridge Filter Pump. I didn't bleed off the air at the top when I changed the filters. I'm a little afraid of doing this. From the youtube videos, it sounds dangerous.

While the pump is running, do I turn the little valve behind the pressure gauge? Water should come out eventually and then I close it, right? Then turn the pump off.

My normal pump rate is between 15-20. Or rather, this is what I was told over the phone by a pool guy. When I had to trouble shoot the pump the last time, this is what I arrived at and he thought that was fine. The pump has been working great. Until today.

I assume you mean you have 0 pressure on the filter housing. But you have water flow at the pump and I would assume at your returns. Are you using your normal pump rate? Your signature does not show what pump you have.

Be sure to bleed the air off the top of the filter housing. There should be an air bleed that you open with the pump running and when water comes out you close it.

The Hayward 3020 is your filter. You have a pump that is separate.

If the filter did not fill with water then the pump is not pumping water. Is there water in the pump basket? Did you move any valves when you cleaned the filter?

I learn a new thing everyday...I thought the pump/filter were all part of the same package. I will come back in a while with pump info.

As for your last question, no. I didn't move any valves. There was definitely water moving in the pump basket, too. I could hear water moving around in the filter housing. Do you think I lost the prime?

Your pump is self-priming. So as long as you do not have any suction side air leaks, the pump will prime.

Check your pump basket gasket. Be sure to lube it up and securely tighten the pump basket lid.

Lubed everything. Water is moving through pump basket. And now, YAY, water is circulating in pool! Problem: pressure gauge is still reading zero. I'm thinking the gauge has malfunctioned. There is really good pressure...the seal on the cartridge housing is tight as a drum.

How hard is it to replace a gauge? Or should I be going down another path? And more importantly, if I don't know the pressure reading, is it safe to run the pump?

Changing a pressure gauge is easy.

You can run the pump until you get a gauge.

When you can get to a Home Depot, ACE, True Value, etc, shut the pump off and take the gauge off and with you for a replacement. The system will drain again when you do it. But will prime up after you replace the gauge.

You might just try tapping the gauge right now. Sometimes they stick. But plan to replace it soon.

I replaced the gauge with a new one, new thread tape, etc. Re-lubed everything after cleaning the filters.

Still no pressure. And the water is not circulating. I can see it move in the pump basket but not as vigorously as before. And nothing happening in the pool.

Very discouraged.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sounds like a single speed pump. Pretty noisy, right?

It should prime. Might take a few minutes. If it does not, there is still a suction side air leak. Or your skimmer weir is stuck closed or your pool water level is too low.

I assume you vented the air in the filter again after replacing the pressure gauge.

Tell me about venting the air in the filter again. Is that opening the little valve on the top and letting air out? I did that...but no water came out.

The pump is pretty noisy so much be single speed.

The pump seems to have primed now. I'm getting action in the pool. Still zero on the pressure gauge....the new one!

There should be a valve of some kind on the top of the filter that you open to let air out. If the pump is now pushing water back to the pool, open that valve. You should feel air coming out. Eventually water will come out.

Air comes out alright...but I've not seen any water. The air eventually stops. I'm looking at the whole gizmo on the top of the filter where that valve and the gauge reside. I can't get it unscrewed...but maybe I should try and get the whole thing apart and see if there's an O-Ring that needs replacing?

Is it possible that the pump is functioning without this gauge working? Or with water coming out of the air release valve? My pool seems clean, water is circulating...I'm stymied by this gauge, though.

And thank you for being so responsive.

If air comes out water should eventually. The gauge is just a measurement of the pressure in the filter housing. And if you have the air release valve open then there is little pressure in the filter housing.

If water is circulating into the pool, then something else is up here. I just do not have the experience with that model of filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.