Can't get pH under 8 ... what's going on? do I care?

Jan 13, 2019
Longmont, CO
Per title. My tap water is at a TA of around 30-40. My last fill of the hot tub I raised it to 80. pH was consistently in the 8-8.2 range. I could temporarily lower it w/pH decreaser but it would always go back up. I just refilled the tub and am hoping I can get it right. TA measured 40 yesterday. CH is 125 (I'm going to hit it w/another dose tonight to get it to 150). I use an SWG so that is cranking along making chlorine. pH is again high - 8.

So, what can I do from here to get my pH down to 7.6? Should I increase TA? Decrease it? Leave it at 40 and work on decreasing the pH? Or is 8 OK and I can just leave them both where they are at?

The TA is a little low, but Higher TA will drive the pH up faster. And the lower the pH, the faster it wants to rise. There is really no reason to try to keep the pH at 7.6 and there is nothing wrong with letting the pH sit at 8 or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.