Can't get pH down, how much do I need to worry about it?

Nov 13, 2014
Lake Ariel, PA
Hi there,

Started up the hot tub after it had been drained for a year (moved it from old house to new, other things took priority). Filled, ran ahhsome through it and drained twice so we know all is good. I use the method here with dichlor -> bleach. My garden hose water meter wasn't working correctly and tho it's a 500 gallon rated tub, I swear that never lines up to what pool math comes out with but it's close enough for our bleach additions etc and I monitor daily because well, I'm type A about those things.

Anyway, we're on well water so I got the calcium set to where it needed to be, then I move on to the TA/pH. Added acid to get the TA to 50 but the pH never seems to go below 7.8 - 8.0 (hard to differentiate the colors. I added more acid to take the TA down to 40 and there's no notable difference in the pH. It still sits at the 7.8 - 8.0 area no matter what. I didn't want to take TA any lower so I left it. Added the 19oz of borates we need to lock that in and added dichlor to start to build up CYA and then have switched over to 7.5% bleach. We've had the tub running since just before Thanksgiving and all has been fine. Since I can't line up to poolmath exactly, I tested CYA with the normal test kit and it sits between 30 and 20 where I lose the black dot in the tube. Water is perfectly clear (we generally keep the tub at 101 so we don't have to wait for heatup so I know we go through more chlorine than we might otherwise), no foam and the "bubbles" are the effervescent kind that dissipate as soon as you shut off the air and jets. I run the filter cycle all the time, clean the filters once a month since it's just my husband and myself. Shock day is typically Tuesday since we generally aren't in Wednesdays so I turn the temp back to about 95 Tuesday nite and take it up to about 12ppm of FC. Combined chlorine runs 1 drops on a 10ml sample so 0.5ppm.

Do I just not worry about the pH? I'm definitely going to reply my hose bib water meter before the next fill but I don't think having EXACT gallons would really matter here (I set the calculator to 450 as a best estimate). Obviously I don't want to keep adding acid and the pH sample doesn't get more dark/purple which would indicate 8.0+ so....

thanks in advance!

ok thanks. I just wasn't sure if long term, being too far off the 7.6 number would be an issue. It's weird because at our old house (1/4 mile down the road, also on a well. albeit a different one), the pH came into the expected range with a TA of 50. Oh well.

There is no significant difference between pH 7.6 or 7.8.

Your new water has a different mix of minerals. Don't fret about it.

Reactions: watson524
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.