Can’t get free chlorine past 1-2!

GrannyFats

Oct 17, 2019
SE Minnesota
Help! I cannot seem to get my free chlorine level high enough. I started with dichlor, now am using bleach and can hardly get it past 1.0. I use pool math, keep adding dichlor (now bleach). What am I doing wrong??this is our second fill, doing much better with chemistry. TA is 50-60, pH is 7.5-7.6, CH is 180.

Let's run some questions back at you to ensure we understand the whole picture ......
Still using the K-2006 test kit yes?
Is this FC problem new or has it been going on for a while?
When was the last time you changed the water?
Last time you did an Ahhsome clean?
What's your bather load been like lately?
What FC goal are you trying to reach (what is your CYA)?
Is the bleach fresh, and are you using the correct % (strength) on the PoolMath tool or APP?

Yes to test kit; didn’t do a good job monitoring it on our first fill in Oct., used tub but Ahhsome cleaned before first fill and again when we purged and refilled 2weeks ago. Bather load just husband and I, one time our teenage granddaughter. Didn’t test CYA yet; but monitoring how much dichlor has been added and switched to bleach 2 days ago. Bleach is maybe 1-2 months since purchase, adding a picture in case it’s the wrong kind? I do use pool math, getting much more comfortable with balance and testing.AD689E36-B50E-4928-8A0D-929E94B72111.jpeggoal is 2-5 for FC, according to TFP post.

One thing for sure. .... definitely stop using the Clorox. Use another brand. Generic is fine as long as it lists the ingredients and percentage strength. See on the Clorox label "Cloromax Technology"? That's some fancy fabric softener stuff they added a couple years back and it doesn't play with with pool or spa water. So see if you can find another source of bleach at your local store.

Hi, Granny!

Clorox bleach has polimers in it that aren't recommended for pools or spas because it can cause foaming. Plain old Walmart great value bleach, may be your best bet until Menard's, Fleet Farm, and other places start stocking "pool shock" liquid chlorine for the summer.

Is your spa outside or inside? Does it smell like chlorine? (You had a pretty high CC level recorded.)

If this were my spa, I think I'd try a one time addition of about half a cup of bleach (which should raise FC by about 4ppm) and test an hour later to see if the goal was achieved.

Ok, sorry but we had an away b-ball tournament for a granddaughter. Tested today, TA 40, added recommended baking soda, pH was perfect, temp 100, FC 1, added recommended dichlor, CYA 35, CSI 0.48. I will shop for hopefully the right bleach tomorrow then see what happens. I feel I’ve maxed my dichlor for this fill? Guessing CYA doesn’t need to be any higher?

Guessing CYA doesn’t need to be any higher?
Not much if it's covered or in the shade. With all the crazy disinfection shoppers out there lately, hopefully you can find some plan/regular bleach nearby. Crazy stuff going on right now. :eek:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.