Can't find the bottom of Chlorine demand after AA treatment

mucoy

Sep 27, 2010
Urbana, MD
Opening new thread on this because I think my latest issue might have been lost within the original post. Did my first AA treatment and cannot get chlorine to stay in the pool after 6 days.

Did AA treatment on Sunday (six days ago). Followed all the instructions and added 32 oz of Polyquat before. Ended up adding ~6 pounds of AA in 29K pool followed later in the afternoon by 4 quarts Proteam Metal Magic. Stains didn't disappear very much which is why I ended up going heavy but over next couple days 95% gone! Have been trying to bring FC back up since Monday. Have gone through 9 gallons 12.5% liquid chlorine and 82 oz of disolved trichlor (ran out of liquid chlorine at one point so moved to dissolved trichlor granules until I replenished).

Latest test results:
pH - 7.0-7.2
TA - 70
CH - 360
CYA - 45
Salt - 3600
FC - 0.2
CC - 0
water temp - 74

The following is my protocol over the last 36 hours:
  • 10 pm Thursday added 13.7 oz dissolved Trichlor.
  • At 11 pm FC was 1.2 ppm, CC was 0. Turned on the IC40 at 60% in attempt to supplement chlorine overnight and possibly outpace the pool demand.
  • 9 am Friday Chlorine was 0. Added another 13.7 oz dissolved Trichlor. SWG still on @ 60%.
  • 12 pm FC = 0; CC = 0. Added another 13.7 oz dissolved Trichlor. SWG still on @ 60%.
  • 1 pm FC= 0.4; CC = 0. Added another 13.7 oz of dissolved Trichlor. SWG still on @ 60%.
  • 2 pm FC = 0 to 0.2; CC = 0. 2:30 pm Added another 13.7 oz of dissolved Trichlor. SWG still on @ 60%.
  • 4:15 pm FC = 0 to 0.2; CC = 0. Added another 13.7 oz of dissolved Trichlor. SWG still on @ 60%.
  • 7:30 pm FC = 0 to 0.2; CC = 0. Added 1 gallon 12.5% liquid chlorine.
  • 9:30 pm FC = 4.0, yay! Turned off SWG to see what chlorine demand is overnight.
  • Saturday 9 am FC = 0.2; CC = 0. Added 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine
  • Saturday 11 am FC = 0.2; CC = 0. Added 1 gallon of 12.5% chlorine
  • Saturday 2pm FC = 0.2-0.4; CC = 0. Going back to store for more chlorine :-(.
I know that I am adding more chlorine than recommended following the AA treatment but i've grown quite impatient at this point. What gives?
Am I doing anything wrong to find the bottom of this chlorine demand? Trying to avoid SLAM and undoing the AA treatment. Suggestions welcome!

The more AA is added, the longer is takes to neutralize it afterward. I've gone up to a week where I was constantly adding liquid chlorine trying to make it hold. I see you're adding quite frequently, so that's good, so the pool's FC doesn't zero out for too long.

I too was impatient and now I start at 4ppm and never go below that after the treatment. Anything less, it just disappears too quickly and you almost have to add every 30 minutes. (n) I've even gone as high as 6 ppm FC. Just don't let it get anywhere near shock level.

Keep adding and keep retesting. It will hold eventually. Also, recheck your CYA. Mine mysteriously dropped from 50 to under 30 one time. I couldn't figure out why I was going through so much chlorine even after it started holding. Then I rechecked my CYA and got it back up to 50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.