Can't find quad oring/seal

jackhandsome

May 22, 2022
fort worth
I just got done redoing all of the orings and seals in my Pentair 346206 challenger high pressure pump. I have everything back to normal and went to put on the top pvc hose attachment but found that I had lost the previous oring/seal. I thought it was a diffuser quad oring seal (not sure of exact name) so I bought one at Leslies but it was too big. I cannot find this seal anywhere and on an exploded diagram for said pump I can't find it in there as it is not mentioned. I am beginning to think that the previous owner rigged something up to get it to seal. So I am trying to figure out how the heck to get this thing to seal. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 21.jpg
    21.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 4
This is crazy, my son just texted me that he found the old oring in the yard. It is nothing like I suspected. Can you tell by the pictures what this particular oring would be called? I can't seem to find another one.

Attachments

• Resized_20220628_085237001.jpeg
    Resized_20220628_085237001.jpeg
    281.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Resized_20220628_085242001.jpeg
    Resized_20220628_085242001.jpeg
    44.1 KB · Views: 8
It’s called a hack-job o-ring … they are highly specialized o-rings that are only made on the fly by the last guy that touched that fitting 😂

It looks like someone glued the original o-ring on to a piece of flat neoprene rubber. Probably done by the last guy who touched it to stop a leak. Rather than replacing the o-ring with a new one, they opted to try smashing it together.

Those types of union fittings don’t need a lot of torque on the nut to make a seal. But, if the sealing faces get warped or scratched or they are not properly aligned, getting a good seal can be impossible. So many people think that you should just tighten it down harder which then only warps the o-ring and sealing surfaces more. At some point the union might have to be replaced but lazy people will just try to hack some kind of fix together rather than replace the defective plumbing.

Put the regular oring back in the groove and try sealing it. If it leaks, you may need to redo that part of the plumbing run with a new fitting.

This is crazy, my son just texted me that he found the old oring in the yard. It is nothing like I suspected. Can you tell by the pictures what this particular oring would be called? I can't seem to find another one.
That is a spa union seal, a combination of O ring and gasket that is used on many spa installations. It is a standard part that can be found in places like this:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.