Can't find liquid chlorine - can I use something else?

Desire5292

Apr 30, 2019
Sylvan Springs, Alabama
Hi,
Just looking for some advice! I've been trying to find liquid chlorine and all I can find is either WAY out of date (HD had stuff from 2018!) or super expensive. Getting ready to do a SLAM to open pool and need a good bit. I'm wondering if it would be possible to use the granular shock temporarily? I was constantly having to add stabilizer last year to raise CYA so I don't think it would hurt. But not sure if I can do that during a SLAM? Any ideas?
Thanks!!

Did you check Walmart? Their website shows it in stock at Hueytown. But might want to call first.

You do not log your test results in Poolmath so do not know if you can use solid chlorine products or not.

Post your current test results.

You do not log your test results in Poolmath so do not know if you can use solid chlorine products or not.

Post your current test results.

We're having trouble with the pump and still trying to get it started. Didn't think I should test until the pump was running? I just wanted to have some chlorine so I could start immediately once we get it working. Guess I'll have to wait. :)

None of your past tests are posted either. I was going to look at what your historical data was. But none of them have been recorded.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I got raked over the coals at Ace Hardware. I ordered on line and I tried to order 20 gallons of their 10% LC (On sale at half price = $2.99!). It limited me to 17 (which I assumed was all that the local store was showing in stock). I got confirmation of the order saying that I would be able to pick up the following day, but that I should wait for another email confirming that it was ready. When nothing arrived by 3pm the next day, I called the store.

It turned out the store only had 4 bottles and they would not issue that as part of the 17. I ostensibly was going to have to wait until the following week for the 17 to arrive as Four gallons does me no good with a swampy pool unless I know I have more coming. So I opted to wait for the larger volume.

The night before it was due to arrive (Last night) I got an email cancelling my order. No explanation no nothing. When I called the local store they now had 8 in stock. So they got a shipment, they just didn't allocate it to me. SO I called the 8-00 number....a full 2 hours 30 minutes of being on hold later, they would not honor the original sale price and could offer no explanation as to why they cancelled my order. Sigh. I guess I am on a quest to find cheap cal-hypo (My cya is already at optimal level but at least my CH is only 60).

Sigh. I guess I am on a quest to find cheap cal-hypo (My cya is already at optimal level but at least my CH is only 60).

I wish you were closer to me....looks like you're about an hour and a half away. I stocked up at the beginning of the season (it's stored in a cool, dark basement and shows no sign of degrading) but then changed my mind and put in a swg. If you feel like driving to Delta, I'll give you 20 gallons for free! I'd rather someone use it than go to waste, but it would be a little drive. Let me know if you're interested, otherwise I might end up donating it.

I think there is an Ollies near you. They usually have an ample supply of 10% at $2.99. Normal price, no sale needed. Good luck.

I wish you were closer to me....looks like you're about an hour and a half away. I stocked up at the beginning of the season (it's stored in a cool, dark basement and shows no sign of degrading) but then changed my mind and put in a swg. If you feel like driving to Delta, I'll give you 20 gallons for free! I'd rather someone use it than go to waste, but it would be a little drive. Let me know if you're interested, otherwise I might end up donating it.
I PM'ed you.

I think there is an Ollies near you. They usually have an ample supply of 10% at $2.99. Normal price, no sale needed. Good luck.
Thanks, I will give them a shot.

Reactions: DiverGirl1972
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.