Cannot get rid of our algae

kmbentley

Feb 28, 2021
Yucatán, Mexico
My husband and I live in the Yucatan Peninsula in Mexico. We have had a reoccurring algae problem for the past 5 weeks and are at our wits end.....we have SLAMed and shocked the Pool as directed and it always comes back after a few days. Currently, we have been been SLAMing for 5 days because every morning we wake up to newly settled (green) algae on the bottom of the Pool. We are failing the OCLT every morning as well. We have scrubbed every inch of the Pool, cleaned the filter, scrubbed the directional pieces and every bit of the skimmer.

Suggestions..help......please!

Current chemistry is:
FC 18 after a day of crazy heat and sun) based on Pool math we added enough to bring it to above 20
Ph 7.8
CC - 0
TA- 140
CYA 40
Hardness 450

Hey KM !!!! And belated Welcome !!! First things first.... test your FC and don't even bother with the rest right now. The PH reads a false high whenever the FC is above 10, and the others ( TA, CH, CYA) are not going to change anytime soon.

We have had a reoccurring algae problem for the past 5 weeks and are at our wits end
It did not happen overnight

Currently, we have been been SLAMing for 5 days because
It will not clear overnight either.

It takes time. Test/add as often as you can. Every 2 hours is preferred if you are still using alot of chlorine, but do the best you can if 2 hours isn't possible.

On the plus side, besides being frustrated at the pool owner patience (PoP) stage...... it sounds like you guys are doing great !!! Staying on top of the FC, the brushing/cleaning, the filter. Stay the course, you'll get there. :)

Reactions: Snoobug
Where did you get your water tested,that alkalinity seems high vs a ph of 7.8

You need to really stay on top of keeping your chlorine above 16, I’m talking testing every 2 hours during daylight.
Funny to see you are from Maine....we are originally from Farmington, Me now living in Mexico. Pool tests are done by us using professional pool testing equipment. The water here is hard and has a VERY high Ph because of the limestone - we use well water. Will test alkalinity again after SLAM

Hey KM !!!! And belated Welcome !!! First things first.... test your FC and don't even bother with the rest right now. The PH reads a false high whenever the FC is above 10, and the others ( TA, CH, CYA) are not going to change anytime soon.

It did not happen overnight

It will not clear overnight either.

It takes time. Test/add as often as you can. Every 2 hours is preferred if you are still using alot of chlorine, but do the best you can if 2 hours isn't possible.

On the plus side, besides being frustrated at the pool owner patience (PoP) stage...... it sounds like you guys are doing great !!! Staying on top of the FC, the brushing/cleaning, the filter. Stay the course, you'll get there. :)
We are having the majority of our algae settle in the shallow end.....a low edge for chairs that we now regret. Is this because the water is warmer there, there is more algae there.....or it is what it is? Today’s photos.

Attachments

• 75C4DACB-C5A7-42E5-94FB-9BB8854EBB1F.jpeg
    75C4DACB-C5A7-42E5-94FB-9BB8854EBB1F.jpeg
    305.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 9CAD3847-3D49-4769-9343-3F51D9096577.jpeg
    9CAD3847-3D49-4769-9343-3F51D9096577.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 73AB8C6A-DDF3-4221-864E-8DEA4DB0A4E8.jpeg
    73AB8C6A-DDF3-4221-864E-8DEA4DB0A4E8.jpeg
    309.4 KB · Views: 37
We are having the majority of our algae settle in the shallow end.....a low edge for chairs that we now regret. Is this because the water is warmer there, there is more algae there.....or it is what it is?
That’s a great question and I’m in to learn with you. My random stab at a guess is that it looks to be a different material and if that’s the case it may be easier for algae to grow on it. Or it’s a dead zone for circulation so the sun burns up more of the FC there which doesn’t mix well with the rest of the pool keeping the FC at good levels.

Or it could always be that the shallow water allows you to see better and it’s just as bad in the deep end.

That’s a great question and I’m in to learn with you. My random stab at a guess is that it looks to be a different material and if that’s the case it may be easier for algae to grow on it. Or it’s a dead zone for circulation so the sun burns up more of the FC there which doesn’t mix well with the rest of the pool keeping the FC at good levels.

Or it could always be that the shallow water allows you to see better and it’s just as bad in the deep end.
The Pool is concrete with a chukum finish. Chukum is a Mayan waterproofing resin that is used in all pools here. It is throughout our Pool.....actually our shower and bath too.

Reactions: Snoobug and Newdude
Or it’s a dead zone for circulation so the sun burns up more of the FC
I agree with @Newdude and @Pool_Medic . Lack of circulation on that shelf might be allowing algae to get a foot hold. Do you have any bubblers you can turn on there or returns you can point to sweep over that area? What does TFP say about raising CYA levels in this situation?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.