Cannot get my CC to stop fluctuating!!!

BRM12

May 7, 2018
Massillon
So I thought my SLAM was complete. I passed the OCLT 2 nights in a row with FC loss of 1 or less and CC of .5.... Since then my FC was dropping a bit more than I would have liked throughout the day and my CC was up to 1. My buddy Jeff (jeffchap on here) suggested I bump back up to SLAM levels, which I have, until I can get a CC reading of 0. I have bumped FC back to 12 for three days now and my CC was .5 the first two days and was a 1.5 this morning. I am perplexed and becoming worn out after a much longer than expected first SLAM experience. Water is crystal clear! I have already gone through 1 whole bottle of 0871 and powder testing FC in this process.

Keep at it.

Is it possible that you have some hidden algae? Have you pulled out all ladders and inspected them? Maybe something behind any pool lights? Anything growing in the skimmers? Scrub, scrub, scrub all surfaces of the pool -- all sides, the entire bottom. Scrub everything.

Help with CC levels

I slammed for over 2 weeks and turned my swamp into a crystal clear oasis with the great help from jeffchap on the forum. I passed the OCLT two days in a row with less than 1 drop in FC and .5 readings on CC. I dropped down to normal levels but shortly after I had a CC test of 1 yesterday and again today. I bumped back up to SLAM levels yesterday. I am whooped after what was a never ending SLAM, and just when I thought all was good, my CC readings are baffling me. I have scrubbed everything to the heavens and beyond. Pool is crystal clear. There is some dead algae silt in some liner creases on bottom of pool.
Can anyone please help before I give in and give up??

I noticed you have the Hayward 1500 filter. Is this the Hayward CCX 1500. cartridge filter? If it is how well have you disinfected your cartridge filter from algae? Also? Your intake and return lines? Are they hoses? Or is it hard plumbed with PVC? Sometimes algae and sediment can hide in the ribs of the hoses. What about pollen are you getting pollen on the water surface? I get constant pollen from the woods on my water surface which usually puts my CC at 0.5 until you cannot find any imperfections in the water.

A measurable cc test of .5 ppm is treated the same as zero.....you don't need to do anything.

A CC test of 1.0 or more indicates the need to pay attention to your water but it doesn't mean anything drastic is about to happen.

I would elevate the FC to 150% of normal values and then go swimming.......checking the CC's maybe three times weekly to watch the trend.

Please also keep in mind that CC is constantly being created and destroyed as part of the oxidation process. As the FC oxidizes bather waste and organics in the pool small amounts of CC will be created and subsequently burn off as part of the oxidation process. If you consistently see CC over 1.0 then you may need to bump up your daily FC target a little.

Thanks for the responses. It is the cartridge filter and I have been checking and replacing (I have 2). I do have hoses that run intake and return. What do I do about cleaning them?
Also after the 2 CC tests of 1 I elevated my FC back up to 16. My buddy jeffchap has been helping me out all the way through the process and has been great!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.